Car phone charger output 6V instead of 5v

Mullins

Joined Dec 31, 2021
Hi, is there a way to increase the output of a car phone charger? I need 6V for a photo trapper. It will be nice if I can supply it with a phone charger.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
You need a “DC to DC boost converter” (you can use the phrase in quotes for search criteria).

Here’s one from Amazon.com

Whether It works, depends on how much current your photo trapper requires. If it’s less than 2A, you should be good. Remember when you increase voltage, the available current decreases.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Why not do the conversion in one step straigt from the car's 12 volts down to 6 volts. There are many available on ebay. Just choose one with a suitable current raitng for your load. ( you have not told is how much current that your photo trapper requires.) You may even be able to modify the existing charger to give 6 volts output. I have done this with a charger that used a MC34063A switching regulator.

Les.

Mullins

Joined Dec 31, 2021
I already know dc-dc converters. But I have many phone chargers and I think they are more efficient. Now I dont have one in my hand... but the answer was just to know if it will be possible.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
This is an older typical phone charger & yes they can be made adjustable. You need to get one & see what type of IC is in it then check the chip data.Phone charger ajust voltage.jpg

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
For the schematic in post #10 it gives you the formula to calculate V out from the two resistor values.
If you leave R2 at 10 K then R 1 needs to be 2632 ohms fot 6 volts output. Putting a 13K resistor in parallel with the 3K3 resistor should give you very close to 6 volts output.

Les.