Help to confirm battery charger schematic TP5100

trav333

Joined Mar 7, 2022
Hi all wanting some help confirming a battery charger circuit using TP5100. Also, can anyone explain the RTS resistor value in the datasheet schematic? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
RTS & RTC form a Voltage-Divider using the Regulated-Voltage as a supply.
There are Hot and Cold Temperature-Limits,
less than ~45% of V-Reg is Off due to too Hot Battery-Temp,
more than ~80% of V-Reg is also Off due to too Cold Battery-Temp.

Attachments

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Sometimes You run into completely "made-up" Acronyms, RTS is one of them.
RTS probably stands for Resistor,...... ( for the ), ...... Temperature-Sensor.

However, NTC is common, and stands for "Negative-Temperature-Coefficient",
which means it's a special Resistor that changes it's Resistance based on Temperature,
the Resistance will go down as it's Temperature rises.
There are also Positive-Temperature-Coefficient-Resistors, but they are much less common.

Lithium-Based-Cells are Temperature-Sensitive, so a Battery-Temperature-Sensor is a good idea.

trav333

Joined Mar 7, 2022
Ok got it and yes I think many terms in electronics seem to be made up and don't make sense at times.

Looking at my circuit I think it looks correct but need to doublecheck value of the RTS value in regards to the temperature.

Thanks once again.

trav333

Joined Mar 7, 2022
Hi mate one more question for the battery sens I am using ESP32 should I make the voltage divider values for R18 and R19 27K and 100K so the signal is 3.3V with the current setup signal would be 2.1V when the battery is fully charged to 4.2V

I want to show with LED when the battery is fully charged and also when the charge is low (below 3.5V) the module will turn off at 3.2V for cell voltage dropout.

Last edited:

RPLaJeunesse

Joined Jul 29, 2018
... should I make the voltage divider values for R18 and R19 27K and 100K so the signal is 3.3V with ... the battery is fully charged to 4.2V...
Better to consider that the micro's analog inputs will be saturated when you get to the full scale of the ADC. And keep in mind that a 3.3V reference (supply?) has a tolerance, and could be some percentage lower than 3.3V. Scale your input to not exceed maybe only 90% of that lowest reference value.