Inverter Circuit

erwin1991c

Joined Mar 20, 2023
Greetings!

I'm new to electronics and need help, I honestly don't know much. Need help in building an Inverter.

I have a source voltage from a generator that is 1,000 volts at 2 amps. I want an inverter Schematic that takes the 1,000 volts and converts it to 230 volts AC 50Hz 5,000 watts approx load Pure Sine Wave. I'm planning on using the below parts but not sure what goes where. Please suggest. Below are the mentioned components. I got all of the mentioned suggestions and code from Chat GPT. I need help in building an Inverter that takes 1,000 volts DC and gives 230 volts 50hz 5,000 watts. I need it to power a house.

ZYME® KBPC3510 35A 1000V Bridge Rectifier to convert the AC from generator to DC.
FGA25N120ANTD - IGBT
1EDI60N12AF - Driver
Arduino Nano - Controller
MCP4725 - DAC
LM358 - LP Filter
Step-Down Transformer (1,000 Volts AC 50hz pure sine wave to 230 volts 50hz pure sine wave)

Controller Code:
#include <Wire.h>
#include <Adafruit_MCP4725.h>

// MCP4725 DAC object
Adafruit_MCP4725 dac;

// LP filter pin
const int LP_PIN = A0;

// IGBT driver pins
const int GATE_PIN = 2;
const int ENABLE_PIN = 3;

// Lookup table for sine wave values
const uint16_t sine_table[] = {2048, 2447, 2831, 3185, 3495, 3750, 3939, 4056, 4095, 4056, 3939, 3750, 3495, 3185, 2831, 2447, 2048, 1649, 1265, 911, 601, 346, 157, 40, 0, 40, 157, 346, 601, 911, 1265, 1649};

void setup() {
  // Initialize DAC
  dac.begin(0x60);

// Set LP filter frequency and gain
  analogWrite(LP_PIN, 128);

// Set IGBT driver pins as outputs
  pinMode(GATE_PIN, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(ENABLE_PIN, OUTPUT);

// Disable IGBT driver
  digitalWrite(ENABLE_PIN, LOW);
}

void loop() {
  // Enable IGBT driver
  digitalWrite(ENABLE_PIN, HIGH);

// Generate sine wave output
  for (int i = 0; i < 32; i++) {
    uint16_t value = sine_table;
    dac.setVoltage(value, false);
    digitalWrite(GATE_PIN, HIGH);  // Turn on IGBT gate
    delayMicroseconds(10);         // Wait for IGBT to switch on
    digitalWrite(GATE_PIN, LOW);   // Turn off IGBT gate
    delayMicroseconds(490);        // Wait for rest of the half-cycle
  }

// Disable IGBT driver

// Add some safety features
  // Check if voltage exceeds 1000V
  if (analogRead(A1) > 204) {
    // Turn off IGBT driver and DAC output
    dac.setVoltage(0, false);
    delay(1000);  // Wait for circuit to discharge
  }

// Check if current exceeds safe limit
  if (analogRead(A2) > 1023) {
    // Turn off IGBT driver and DAC output
    dac.setVoltage(0, false);
    delay(1000);  // Wait for circuit to cool down
  }
}
Thanks with Regards,
Erwin Correia.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I didn't mean that!

I need help in building an inverter that can take in 1,000 volts DC and convert it to 230 volts AC, 50hz, pure sine wave.
This is not really a suitable project for somebody "new" to electronics. You need to learn how to crawl and walk before trying to run a marathon. Trust me on this that you will not be able to accomplish this in the short term. You may get there eventually but it may take years. For starters it might be instructive for you to estimate the available output power from the advertised input power of 2kW = 1000 VDC x 2 Amperes. Hint: it will be less than 2 kW. How much less depends on what you have learned.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Greetings!
Welcome to AAC.

I’ve edited your post to include CODE tags around your code listing. This makes reading the code much easier and so it is more lilt someone will take the time and possibly offer advice.

You can find a little editor that makes adding them easy in the 1679316118532.png dropdown in the tool bar of the post editor.

I hope you find AAC helpful and interesting, and you choose to hang around.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
In order to come up with a plan for creating the proposed Converter,
The exact specifications of the "Generator" / "Alternator" must be known.

1000-Volt Generators / Alternators, ( which one is it ? ), are not common items,
and may have some very odd peculiarities about them that may
prevent them/it from being a viable Power-Source.

In addition to the Generator specifications,
the specifications of the source of Motive-Power to
spin the Generator is also just as important.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
IIF the generator is producing AC, which I am guessing that it does, because the parts list includes a diode bridge rectifier, then to get 230 volts AC you will need a step-down transformer. with about a 4.2:1 turns ratio, and a power capacity of at least 2000 watts, although I recommend 2500 watts capacity. To get a "pure sine wave" the most efficient scheme will be to resonate the primary of the transformer with a suitable capacitor. BUT that will demand that the generator be turned at exactly the correct RPM, 3000.00, which is mechanically quite demanding. I suggest forgetting the Pure sine wave and accept what you get.

I am forbidden by those who run this forum from explaining how to get the desired 5000 watts out from 2000 watts in.

erwin1991c

Joined Mar 20, 2023
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Here's the correction.

So the generator/source is 800 volts at 8 amps. That goes through a full bridge rectifier and then through an inverter rated at 230volts 50hz pure sine wave 5,000 watts single phase.

Below are the revised parts:-
FGA25N120ANTD - IGBT (6 Qty, 3+3 in H-Bridge)
1EDI60N12AF - Driver (2 Qty to control the IGBT's)
EGS002 EG8010 + IR2113 DC-AC SPWM Pure Sine Wave Inverter Module - Controller (1 Qty)
LCL Filter: 1,000 volts 10 uF capacitor and two 10 mH 40 amps inductor
Transformer - step down the 800 volts AC 50Hz to 230 volts AC 50hz pure sine wave 5,000 watts

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Here's the correction.

So the generator/source is 800 volts at 8 amps. That goes through a full bridge rectifier and then through an inverter rated at 230volts 50hz pure sine wave 5,000 watts single phase.

Below are the revised parts:-
FGA25N120ANTD - IGBT (6 Qty, 3+3 in H-Bridge)
1EDI60N12AF - Driver (2 Qty to control the IGBT's)
EGS002 EG8010 + IR2113 DC-AC SPWM Pure Sine Wave Inverter Module - Controller (1 Qty)
LCL Filter: 1,000 volts 10 uF capacitor and two 10 mH 40 amps inductor
Transformer - step down the 800 volts AC 50Hz to 230 volts AC 50hz pure sine wave 5,000 watts
Hi,

A 5000 watt inverter of any kind is a significant design project. It takes experience to get everything right.
I worked for a company that made pure sine converters up to 30kWatts and so i can tell you that there are little things you have to know and it's not easy to get that stuff right unless you have experience. Even if someone tells you how to do it it's still a big undertaking. Part ratings is a large part of it too, ratings that are not talked about as much.
If you need isolation that brings in problems also but if you have an input transformer that helps. Three phase output is also another issue, and it sounds like you might be doing that (6 IGBT's).

With all this in mind, i have to ask you, what kind of projects have you worked on in the past?

erwin1991c

Joined Mar 20, 2023
Hi,

A 5000 watt inverter of any kind is a significant design project. It takes experience to get everything right.
I worked for a company that made pure sine converters up to 30kWatts and so i can tell you that there are little things you have to know and it's not easy to get that stuff right unless you have experience. Even if someone tells you how to do it it's still a big undertaking. Part ratings is a large part of it too, ratings that are not talked about as much.
If you need isolation that brings in problems also but if you have an input transformer that helps. Three phase output is also another issue, and it sounds like you might be doing that (6 IGBT's).

With all this in mind, i have to ask you, what kind of projects have you worked on in the past?
None, that's why requesting for help, I'll be using a closed loop steam engine to power the generator. Starting from scratch.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, and now the numbers are more reasonable. And now a serious question: How close to the desired sine wave is the generator output? Designing and building a low distortion transformer for step-down from 800 volts to 230 volts is far simpler than designing and building a satisfactory inverter. Mr Al did not go into details, but he is totally correct.
The big part of designing a low-distortion transformer is not cheapening it by using only just enough material to sort of work. There must be enough of the right kind of iron to not approach saturation, and that is a fair amount more than is typical.
Controlling the speed of the generator to hold either 3000 or 1500 RPM will be the big challenge.
And of course, there must not be skimping in the generator construction, because a generator with the core going into saturation will produce a somewhat distorted wave.
So no part of the design and build will be simple.
Even the design of a non-sine wave inverter is a big effort.
And, finally, even with 6400 watts input, with a "pure sine wave" output the efficiency will be less.

erwin1991c

Joined Mar 20, 2023
I plan on building the 5,000 watts EI laminates transformer as follows:-
Primary:- 470 turns, 1.4mm
Secondary:- 148 turns, 2.5mm
CSA:- 5484mm square
Stack:- 4 Inches.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Forget about converting anything ..........
You need a factory-manufactured Alternator built with the proper Voltage-Output in mind.
Preferably one that will operate at 1500-RPM, since You are powering it with a Steam-Engine.

As a side-note ......
Steam-Engines are extremely-high-maintenance-machines,
especially when running for long periods, or continuously.

You need a 10-Horsepower Diesel-Generator,
preferably with a 4-Cylinder-Engine so that You can better tolerate the noise.
You'll spend less Money, and have something that will actually work for a long time.

This project is not likely to work for very long., if it ever works at all.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
With the availability of 6400 watts from the generator that sounds like it might be way too small to deliver low distortion. Have you done that part of the calculations yet?? How close to saturation will the core magnetization be??

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Sounds like you put at least some thought into this, but you said you had no experience so how did you come up with those numbers?

EDIT:
From the other replies i see you used Chat GPT. That's very interesting. Maybe, and i am being serious, you could ask about any possible pitfalls you might encounter.
Some ideas for that include high voltage spikes, shoot through current, 'transistor' driver chips, wiring techniques, capacitor ripple current ratings, fusing for protection, exploding high current parts and other dangers while testing.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I certainly did miss that part. I did wonder how somebody claiming a lack of knowledge and a lack of experience had such a detailed parts list before having a design. But I figured those items came from some clearance sale, or an article in Nuts and Volts, or on yoo toob. There is lots of technical stuff on yoo toob.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello again,

After seeing the other posts after mine i added something i want to repeat here so it can be seen by the original thread starter.

From the other replies i see you used Chat GPT. That's very interesting. Maybe, and i am being serious, you could ask about any possible pitfalls you might encounter.
Some ideas for that include high voltage spikes, shoot through current, 'transistor' driver chips, wiring techniques, capacitor ripple current ratings, fusing for protection, exploding high current parts and other dangers while testing.