Led Timer Integration/120v AND Gate Circuit

cneumann

Joined Mar 6, 2023
Hey all!

I recently installed led back lighting on our TV setup. Unfortunately, the USB outlets on the tv are always powered.

I have one of these energy conserve power strips (https://a.co/d/aLvpjJb) which detects when the TV is pulling more then "idle" current and then flips a relay which powers the LEDs on a separate outlet.

I'm looking to integrate a timer into the circuit so that even if the TV is on, the LEDs only turn on at night.

Any recommendations on "ANDing" the output from the power strip and a timer outlet, or some other way of integrating the timer into the circuit?

Unfortunately I can't just plug the timer outlet into the power strip because it doesn't keep the time when it isn't receiving power.

Thanks!

Last edited:

cneumann

Joined Mar 6, 2023
I just realized I submitted this before fully filling out the title, but I can't figure out how to change it now...

cneumann

Joined Mar 6, 2023
Some plug-in electronic timers (example) have battery backup, which may work for you.
I considered that as well, but unfortunately my experience with them has been that it's only meant to bridge the gap of couple hour power outages. Since in my application it's primarily without power, it ended up dying after a relatively short while (usually less than a month).

I suppose I could just replace the battery every month, but I'm looking for a more set it and forget it approach.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
my experience with them has been that it's only meant to bridge the gap of couple hour power outages. Since in my application it's primarily without power, it ended up dying after a relatively short while (usually less than a month).
From the Amazon Questions and Answers for the timer I referenced:
The timer contains a built-in battery that can memorize your programs. Generally speaking, the internal battery can last at least 90 days. When not in regular use, please plug the timer into an active wall socket to recharge for about 24 hours every 30 days to maintain the internal battery.
So it apparently has an internal rechargeable battery that would be charging whenever your TV is on.
If your TV is on for a least a total of 24 hours per month, you should be okay.

Last edited:

cneumann

Joined Mar 6, 2023
From the Amazon Questions and Answers for the timer I referenced:
The timer contains a built-in battery that can memorize your programs. Generally speaking, the internal battery can last at least 90 days. When not in regular use, please plug the timer into an active wall socket to recharge for about 24 hours every 30 days to maintain the internal battery.
So it apparently has an internal rechargeable battery that would be charging whenever your TV is on.
If your TV is on for a least a total of 24 hours per month, you should be okay.
Completely missed that section. Thanks for the idea, I'll definitely look into it!