Toggle Switches Breadboard Friendly

bibble235

Joined May 29, 2018
Hi,

Wondered if people have a recommendation for me Toggle Switches which are breadboard friendly. There seems to be a lot of choice for non breadboard friendly and I don't want a tactile or dip switch. Just want any toggle switch which will fit in a breadboard

Thanks,

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I have soldered mini toggle switches and pushbuttons onto header strips in order for them to better be retained by breadboards. Gives a deeper and more solid attachment making them far more breadboard friendly.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Even those slide switches do not stay well on the breadboard. Here are some of the mods I've made to improve on switches and pushbuttons. It's a simple addition of a piece of long pin header stock soldered to the undersize/oversize switch pins. The red and black pushbuttons in the first can be used NO or NC. The toggle switches in the first have a couple of unused header pins simply for stability. Can't remember where I found the NO pushbuttons in the last but have a lifetime supply of them. The legs are too long and a bit small so I've trimmed them down for 2 and 3 spaces on breadboard. I much prefer them to the 4 pin tactile switches which are notorious for popping off breadboards.
IMG_1024[1].JPGIMG_1023[1].JPGIMG_1022[1].JPG

Last edited:

PeteHL

Joined Dec 17, 2014
What I have done is to attach a socket board , european-style terminal strip, and a mounting bracket to a base. The toggle switch is mounted on the bracket and wires soldered to the terminals of the switch go to the terminal strip. Finally, small gauge solid insulated wires go from the terminal strip to be inserted in the sockets of the breadboard. A socket board is not really designed to hold a mechanical switch or for example a 24 mm potentiometer.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Pots are designed to be screwed down tight on a faceplate. When I put them on a protoboard I usually sand a spot down on top of the pot so it will take solder. Then use a leg clipped of a resistor to form a strut behind the pot from an unused through hole to the top of pot in order to brace it. Much better than a wobbly pot!