Looking for this cap specs.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
M.F.D. Is old-school for microFarad. I'm guessing it is 11 Microfarads and 50V.
or, it could be 1150 uF but I doubt it. It does look large for a 50v 11uF cap but, who knows. Have you measured it? Is it dead?

I guess it is likely a 11uF film capacitor for a motor (start or run) capacitor - about the right size for that but voltage is low unless it is running a motor stepped down by a 24vac transformer.

it looks old - I don't remember a P.C.D. company - so maybe PCD stands for polycarbonate dielectric (film). Those haven't been around since Bayer quit making capacitor-grade Polycarbonate film. There was no redeeming qualities of PC that made it better than cheaper polymer films. So, they stepped out when pricing collapsed.

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I dunno if I should post the schema based on the nature of the device.
I can say it is a ground power unit. 3 phase device delivering 28VDC at 600A.
AFAIK from the sources, this cap is across each SCR of the 3 phase bridge.
The DC bus has a capacitor bank of 100K uf ( dunno each is tht value or total ). 8 caps in parallel.

Issue is the schema does not show this cap.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OK....
From the schema the TX out put has 17VAC 3 phase. A SCR 3 phase bridge is used to rectify the AC.
So the voltage is low but the capacitance is the unknown value.
All caps have cracked.
Still trying to get more info.
Very difficult to get hold of the item as they are in Airport

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
OK....
From the schema the TX out put has 17VAC 3 phase. A SCR 3 phase bridge is used to rectify the AC.
So the voltage is low but the capacitance is the unknown value.
All caps have cracked.
Still trying to get more info.
Very difficult to get hold of the item as they are in Airport
I'd be fairly certain it is an 11uF, 50v film cap. The space between the 11 and 50 is key here.