What is this?

BalmySwamy

Joined Dec 26, 2022
Hello Everyone, I am new here and don`t know if i am posting this in the correct place. Can anyone tell me what is this part? This was connected to the motor of a handheld vacuum cleaner. This was connected on both wires, positive and negative in between the motor and JST plug that connects the motor to the PCB. Attached are pics of the motor with the wires. I tested it for continuity and it showed continuity.
I cut off this bit along with the transistors at the end of it and soldered the positive and negative wires to the the motor and it bypassed the on off switch. The motor started when i connected the battery pack to the pcb.
cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
They are inductors wired in series with the power lines to the motor. They are there to suppress high frequency transients caused by the motor brushes contacting the commutator.

BalmySwamy

Joined Dec 26, 2022
Hi, Thank you for your rapid response. If i wanted to replace them, what would i search for on the net? Inductors throws up everything but this sort of inductor.
cheers

BalmySwamy

Joined Dec 26, 2022
I thought now that i cut them off, they must be damaged. So i can just solder them back on, as they were? Thx for the response.