ChatGPT

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
MOD NOTE: This thread started as a side discussion in another thread. It was thought that there might be enough interest to warrant it's own thread. MisterBill1 was NOT the originator of the side discussion, merely the first to respond to it. The post that started the side discussion has been deleted.

Type this question in the chatgpt you will get the answer more faster.
I am not familiar with the "chatgpt", please let us know what that is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
My read is an artificial intelligence thing. The Wikipedia has it covered. Personally I just ask Alexa "What is a ground fault circuit interrupter and she has a handle on it. :)

Ron
ChatGPT is a particular version of the GPT3 AI. It is targeting accurate answers to general questions, and it is really very good. But it can only provide general answers and can’t really understand too much about attempts to get more information.

But it does produce cogent and lucid replies. It is in beta right now and you can sign up and try it free, it’s very impressive.

However, this is definitely off-topic so if there is interest starting another thread is in order.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
ChatGPT is a thin candy shell that covers a steaming pile of AI crap. It's not a search engine, it makes lies, has hallucinations and easily makes very impressive convincing garbage that's just flat wrong.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucination_(artificial_intelligence)
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...rn-faster-than-ai-for-now.146468/post-1786854

https://www.cdotrends.com/story/17744/google-scrambles-meet-chatgpt-threat
To be clear, ChatGPT suffers from various weaknesses. For one, it is not capable of fact-checking what it says and cannot distinguish between a verified fact and misinformation. It is also prone to "hallucinations”, which are made-up responses generated out of thin air. The danger lies in its plausibility,

Even Sam Altman, CEO of OpenAI, cautioned against using ChatGPT for crucial work. He wrote in a tweet: “ChatGPT is incredibly limited, but good enough at some things to create a misleading impression of greatness. it's a mistake to be relying on it for anything important right now. it’s a preview of progress; we have lots of work to do on robustness and truthfulness.”

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Skepticism is dead. Today’s “scientists” have killed it.
Skepticism be damned, It's all about the money. ChatGPT has zero understanding, it merely predicts the statistically most probable next word in a sentence based on its training data, which may be total garbage scrapped from random web postings or disinformation sites.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chatgpt-creator-openai-talks-for-tender-offer-at-29-billion-2023-1
The year has started off strong for ChatGPT, the viral new chatbot that uses artificial intelligence to write essays, cover letters, and may ultimately give Google a run for its money as a search engine.

According to the Wall Street Journal, OpenAI, the startup behind ChatGPT, is in talks to sell existing shares of its company in a tender offer that would value the company at $29 billion.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Its response was another lie with that canned text, obviously preprogrammed as a response to those types of questions. It's a bad joke IMO. It repeats the lies and misinformation feed to it with no care to provide truthful answers.

https://medium.com/liecatcher/chatgpt-lies-about-its-own-lying-c7a4c433ced6

Me: Are you able to lie?

As a large language model trained by OpenAI, I do not have the ability to lie or deceive. I am an artificial intelligence program and do not have the capability to engage in conscious thought or intention. My purpose is to provide accurate and relevant information to the best of my ability, based on the input that I receive. I do not have personal beliefs, opinions, or motivations, and my responses are not influenced by external factors. I am simply a tool designed to assist with generating text based on a given prompt.

(ChatGPT, you are asserting that you have to have the intention to lie consciously in order to lie, but we know that is not true. People in the media lie all the time without knowing it. Some people just lie all the time to confute people. Every natural language assertion can be a lie to someone. Humans can always give a context to a natural language assertion that makes the assertion a clear lie to most everybody. You are lying.)

Me: That sounds like a lie to me.

As a large language model trained by OpenAI, I do not have the ability to lie or deceive. I am an artificial intelligence program and do not have the capability to engage in conscious thought or intention. My purpose is to provide accurate and relevant information to the best of my ability, based on the input that I receive. I do not have personal beliefs, opinions, or motivations, and my responses are not influenced by external factors. I am simply a tool designed to assist with generating text based on a given prompt.

Oh my god! ChatGPT just repeated the SAME WORDS TO ME! To an entirely different question!!!

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://techcrunch.com/2023/01/11/chatgpt-cybersecurity-threat/
Many of the security experts TechCrunch spoke to believe that ChatGPT’s ability to write legitimate-sounding phishing emails — the top attack vector for ransomware — will see the chatbot widely embraced by cybercriminals, particularly those that are not native English speakers.

Chester Wisniewski, a principal research scientist at Sophos, said it’s easy to see ChatGPT being abused for “all sorts of social engineering attacks” where the perpetrators want to appear to write in a more convincing American English.
“It’s difficult to predict exactly how ChatGPT or any other technology will be used in the future, as it depends on how it is implemented and the intentions of those who use it,” the chatbot replied. “Ultimately, the impact of ChatGPT on cybersecurity will depend on how it is used. It is important to be aware of the potential risks and to take appropriate steps to mitigate them.”
A professional version of a party trick is still a party trick.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.wsj.com/articles/without-consciousness-ais-will-be-sociopaths-11673619880
Without Consciousness, AIs Will Be Sociopaths
As counterintuitive as it may sound, creating a benign AI may require making it more conscious, not less. One of the most common misunderstandings about AI is the notion that if it’s intelligent then it must be conscious, and if it is conscious then it will be autonomous, capable of taking over the world. But as we learn more about consciousness, those ideas do not appear to be correct. An autonomous system that makes complex decisions doesn’t require consciousness.
A sociopathic machine that can make consequential decisions would be powerfully dangerous. For now, chatbots are still limited in their abilities; they’re essentially toys. But if we don’t think more deeply about machine consciousness, in a year or five years we may face a crisis. If computers are going to outthink us anyway, giving them more humanlike social cognition might be our best hope of aligning them with human values.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/research-summaries-written-by-ai-fool-scientists/
Research Summaries Written by AI Fool Scientists
An artificial-intelligence (AI) chatbot can write such convincing fake research-paper abstracts that scientists are often unable to spot them, according to a preprint posted on the bioRxiv server in late December1. Researchers are divided over the implications for science.

“I am very worried,” says Sandra Wachter, who studies technology and regulation at the University of Oxford, UK, and was not involved in the research. “If we’re now in a situation where the experts are not able to determine what’s true or not, we lose the middleman that we desperately need to guide us through complicated topics,” she adds.
More believable lies. Nonsense that looks good, but isn't good.

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
It should be noted that the current state of affairs is likely going to see dramatic improvements in the near future. If ChatGPT ever does incorporate truly "computed responses", such as what Stephen Wolfram has recently suggested doing, that could well be very soon indeed.

We’ve just started exploring what this means for ChatGPT. But it’s pretty clear that wonderful things are possible. Wolfram|Alpha does something very different from ChatGPT, in a very different way. But they have a common interface: natural language. And this means that ChatGPT can “talk to” Wolfram|Alpha just like humans do—with Wolfram|Alpha turning the natural language it gets from ChatGPT into precise, symbolic computational language on which it can apply its computational knowledge power.