DC-DC Power supply Inductor is very hot

calvin0908

Joined Mar 9, 2010
I designed a DC-DC power supply, it is a buck-boost topology, the design is based on DC-DC controller LM5118, the circuit is as below picture shows:
When I am debugging the circuits, I found the output voltage level is right as expected voltage 48V under different current load, but the inductor of L16 is very hot even with a current load 1A, is there anyone can give some clues what caused the inductor hot issue and how to fix this issue?
Thanks and with best regards
Calvin

1672968276584.png

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Your inductor may be physically too small so it is saturating as @crutschow is asking.
Is the inductor the recommended value?
Also, is the core material designed for the frequency the switcher is running at?

calvin0908

Joined Mar 9, 2010
Your inductor may be physically too small so it is saturating as @crutschow is asking.
Is the inductor the recommended value?
Also, is the core material designed for the frequency the switcher is running at?
Yes, the inductor was recommended by TI design tools, I attached datasheet for your reference, would you like to have a check if it is right?
Thanks

Attachments

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Did you measure the inductor’s temperature?

It is specified to operate at 125 C. That is pretty hot. Maybe you don’t have a problem.

No temperature meter? When my friends and I were teen-agers when referring to transistor case temperatures (all the cases were metal then) we used to say that if it was not hot enough to fry spit it was ok, so all you really need is a wet finger.

calvin0908

Joined Mar 9, 2010

It is specified to operate at 125 C. That is pretty hot. Maybe you don’t have a problem.

No temperature meter? When my friends and I were teen-angers when referring to transistor case temperatures (all the cases were metal then) we used to say that if it was not hot enough to fry spit it was ok, so all you really need is a wet finger.
Yes, maybe you are right, I didn't do a temperature measurement, I just put my finger on the inductor surface and I feel it is very hot, I should do temperature measurement to see if it goes beyond 125 degree C.
Thanks for your reminding, it likes a thunder hit me :)

calvin0908

Joined Mar 9, 2010
Yes, maybe you are right, I didn't do a temperature measurement, I just put my finger on the inductor surface and I feel it is very hot, I should do temperature measurement to see if it goes beyond 125 degree C.
Thanks for your reminding, it likes a thunder hit me :)
The temperature of the inductor surface is 81 degree c at room temperature 20 degree C, the highest working temperature of inductor is 125 degree C, I am sure if it has enough margin, because the board supposed to work at 50 degree C room temperature, we may need verify this by putting in temperature chamber but setting the environment temperature of 50 degree C.
Thanks
Calvin

calvin0908

Joined Mar 9, 2010
The temperature of the inductor surface is 81 degree c at room temperature 20 degree C, the highest working temperature of inductor is 125 degree C, I am sure if it has enough margin, because the board supposed to work at 50 degree C room temperature, we may need verify this by putting in temperature chamber but setting the environment temperature of 50 degree C.
Thanks
Calvin

No temperature meter? When my friends and I were teen-agers when referring to transistor case temperatures (all the cases were metal then) we used to say that if it was not hot enough to fry spit it was ok, so all you really need is a wet finger.
The temperature of 81 degree C I measured was done by a fluke IR image scanner, it maybe not very accurate.