Safety parameters, in electromyography?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
  • A recording electrode will be attached to the skin over the nerve with a special paste and a stimulating electrode will be placed at a known distance away from the recording electrode.
  • The nerve will be stimulated by a mild and brief electrical shock given through the stimulating electrode.
The only concern is the stimulating electrode. The systems used to perform this sort of test are calibrated and safety tested on a regular interval. If you are asking how to perform a safety check on these machines the manufacturer should have a published step by step procedure with an overview, equipment requirements to perform the test and finally a checklist with the recorded results. The exact procedure for safety check is normally done at prescribed intervals in accordance with a manufacturer's procedure. Contact the manufacturer of the specific device. Some are single channel and some multi-channel. The results of the safety check become maintained records which should be available to any inspecting authority.

Ron

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Do You mean something like electrosex-machines?? How far I`ve read, the main thing is to begin procedure with very small signal and grow the amplitude slowly. And have a "immediate stop" button when signal stays unbearable. Of course the grounding jobs must be adequate. And electrode pads must be well sticking to skin in large area. If area is small then current density is too large. If contact pasta is weak, then voltage on electrodes is too large. And last but no least - if client loss sense from too much eyphory, signal must automatically switch off after some 5 minutes. :) :)

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
  • A recording electrode will be attached to the skin over the nerve with a special paste and a stimulating electrode will be placed at a known distance away from the recording electrode.
  • The nerve will be stimulated by a mild and brief electrical shock given through the stimulating electrode.
The only concern is the stimulating electrode.
I never knew what electromyography, EMG, was until I had one right before Christmas. They were testing for how bad my carpal tunnel is. It's a test that isn't one of my favorite things to have done. :) Not only does it give a reading on the machine they have a audio part too with each shock it sounds like static on an AM radio. The doctor giving the test said that audio part was so she knew if the voltage in the probe needle was high enough. Too low a volume meant turn up the juice!

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I never knew what electromyography, EMG, was until I had one right before Christmas. They were testing for how bad my carpal tunnel is. It's a test that isn't one of my favorite things to have done. :) Not only does it give a reading on the machine they have a audio part too with each shock it sounds like static on an AM radio. The doctor giving the test said that audio part was so she knew if the voltage in the probe needle was high enough. Too low a volume meant turn up the juice!
OK, something else on my list of test I don't want to take. Thanks for sharing the experience. :)

Ron

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
OK, something else on my list of test I don't want to take. Thanks for sharing the experience. :)

Ron
Ended up being a test that although it was kind of painful was just one of those things to put behind me. I hurt both hands this summer and went through a bunch of ignorant doctors, one that really explained why they say "practicing medicine". When I finally found one that knew what he was doing and was going to fix the problems, it turned out I can't have it. Due to my heart having a completely plugged artery they won't give me anesthesia. So surgery cancelled, and am living with bad hands, but wearing compression gloves makes it bearable.

The other part of those tests is when they put sensors on you hands and give you many many shocks in different parts of the arm. First shock in each place is barely even felt, then the keep upping the amperage. this is to see how the nerves conduct signals to different parts of the hand.

My wife was in the room while getting the tests. She kept urging the doctor to make the voltages higher.:)

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Ended up being a test that although it was kind of painful was just one of those things to put behind me. I hurt both hands this summer and went through a bunch of ignorant doctors, one that really explained why they say "practicing medicine". When I finally found one that knew what he was doing and was going to fix the problems, it turned out I can't have it. Due to my heart having a completely plugged artery they won't give me anesthesia. So surgery cancelled, and am living with bad hands, but wearing compression gloves makes it bearable.
There is an eerie familiarity to this. Just a few says ago my wife had her first colonoscopy. Kathy is now 75 and has been a cancer patient for about 12 years. Here nor there. Anyway I took her for the colonoscopy and told her, no big deal I have had several. The prep is hell but they put you to sleep and you wake up done. So we are in the pre procedure and her heart rate went up to like 172 and I was like holy crap. Fortunately they got it down but the doctor and anesthesiologist made it clear unless the heart rate came down no procedure. I have a sister who is obese so when she was having the same procedure they went very light to where she was still conscious. Anything heart and they get real freaky. With Kathy they found nothing so that is behind her. Just like you she is a been there and done that so it is all behind her. They injected a beta blocker in her IV and put her on O2. Her heart rate slowed enough and I figure it was just anxiety.

My wife was in the room while getting the tests. She kept urging the doctor to make the voltages higher.:)
Have to love them. :)

Ron

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
anesthesiologist made it clear unless the heart rate came down no procedure
I have had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy since the heart attack/blockage, both with no questions about the EKG. When I asked how I got them with no problems they told me it was a totally different anesthesia method, The scopes they just put you to sleep but somehow surgery shuts down more of your body and they intubate you.

Have to love them. :)
Only because your not allowed to shoot them.:) But she is the love of my life and best friend.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I have had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy since the heart attack/blockage, both with no questions about the EKG. When I asked how I got them with no problems they told me it was a totally different anesthesia method, The scopes they just put you to sleep but somehow surgery shuts down more of your body and they intubate you.

Only because your not allowed to shoot them.:) But she is the love of my life and best friend.
Well since the Thread Starter never returned... :) I guess we are good with all of this. Wife had the endoscopy thing I never have. I did have where they use a local and cut into my leg and looked around in my arteries. That led to an abdominal bypass surgery which I never want to wake up from again, ever. :) I just attribute it to getting old after a less than healthy lifestyle.

Ron