Power Relay Suitability

dan013456

Joined Dec 21, 2022
Hi,

Looking to use two Weidmueller power relays (2476730000 - Drikit) in a UK domestic lighting circuit to control an extractor fan via light switch and timer switch independently and just looking for some reassurance they will be suitable.
I'll attach data sheet for relays and timer switch.
Relays are rated at 240v ac /10amp, SPDT CO.
Extractor fan is Xpelair XID100 in line. Draws 85w and operating current is 0.4amps and starting current is 0.44amps.
Fan does have a capacitor in control unit but I think it's still classed as inductive load overall rather than capacitive, if that's important.

Just read inductive loads and relays can be a bad combination for welding of contacts due to inrush current and just read can be high voltage spikes too and have written to weidmuller to see if there's any preventative components built into those relays for the current side of things but i didnt mention the voltage side of things but yet to hear back anyway.

Should I go for a more industrial type relay or contactor instead or should I just install given the spec seems to match up and if the contacts weld then purchase different type? Circuit is protected by functioning mcb so not concerned about safety more just inconvenience of relay keeping circuit closed, obviously that may happen eventually after life cycles expire but that's not as much of an issue as it happening within a year or two.

Thanks.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

You shouldn't have any problems with contact welding because the relay you plan to use is overly conservative for the application.

dan013456

Joined Dec 21, 2022
The relay should work well for the application, the current rating has a 10X safety factor, and the voltage rating is adequate.
Thanks!
I think the contact gap for relays I purchased is about 3mm and when I seen you could go much wider than that I started overthinking but had forgotten the inrush or starting current was so low.

Glad to receive the reassurance it should be okay. Thanks.