Choose and Drawing Connector for PCB

andrew74

Joined Jul 25, 2022
On the pcb I need a 2-pin female connector on which 120V DC will arrive.

I have never made a pcb .. so I ask:
- what connector do you recommend? (I got this one for example)
- if the connector you recommend has no schematic and footprint already drawn .. I'll draw it on Altium (surely i'll need some help .. but we'll think about it after the choice).

Thanks!

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
If you're not tied to Altium, you might try EasyEDA offered by JLCPCB.

● It's free
● It's actually easy to use, w/o a steep learning curve
● You files are in the cloud, but only accessible to you
● It's free and easy to generate Gerber files that can be used anywhere – they don't hold them hostage
● The component/footprint library is huge
● It can import Eagle libraries and component/footprints provided by most vendors.

andrew74

Joined Jul 25, 2022
If you're not tied to Altium, you might try

offered by JLCPCB.

● It's free
● It's actually easy to use, w/o a steep learning curve
● You files are in the cloud, but only accessible to you
● It's free and easy to generate Gerber files that can be used anywhere – they don't hold them hostage
● The component/footprint library is huge
● It can import Eagle libraries and component/footprints provided by most vendors.
I would have the same problem with EasyEDA or Kicad etc.
Mainly I don't know how to choose a 1x2 connector because it's my first time making a pcb.
When I know (also thanks to your help) which one to choose, however I will use Altium because it is required in my university.

Thanks for the advice though!

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
This connector plugs into pins in the PCB. I have used them for power line voltage.
1669389300860.png
The spacing (pin to pin) is small for power line voltages. Do not use large round pads. Use pads that look like this.
1669389753035.png

andrew74

Joined Jul 25, 2022
Last edited:

andrew74

Joined Jul 25, 2022
This connector plugs into pins in the PCB. I have used them for power line voltage.
View attachment 281425
The spacing (pin to pin) is small for power line voltages. Do not use large round pads. Use pads that look like this.
View attachment 281429
In the datasheet of the selected connector, I see nominal cross section 1.5 mm2 and pitch 3.81 mm (pad diameter)

I've set this parameters in the footprint design of the connector .. but I don't know what to put in the parameters circled in red:
1.png

I just can't figure out how to set these parameters and how to draw the footprint.

@ronsimpson

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
You are looking at the pluggable half of a two part terminal block – you need the mating half as shown here to mount on the circuit board (vertical or right-angle versions are available).

If you scroll down in the above page, there's a link to the "technical document" showing the details of the pcb footprint needed.

I suggest changing to the 5mm pitch version however, to have a little more separation between line-voltage connections of the wires.