CB Radios

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I am looking at the Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB Radio.

I find it and it can do a Wireless Mic if you want.

I am looking on Amazon for one that does not have Wireless Mic if you want it.

I know I do not have to use it with a Wireless Mic but does that not give more to Break?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I know I do not have to use it with a Wireless Mic but does that not give more to Break?
Yes, another thing that can cause problems.

I was given a wireless mouse and after a few days I realized that without a cable I was frequently reaching down to the floor to pick up the mouse which I had driven off desk. A wireless microphone might have the same disadvantage for "fumble" people.

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I wanted to know if anybody can help me with setting RF Gain?

In this video at time 5:21 he says how to set it.

Is this how string your ANT. will transmit or do I not understand what he is doing?

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
I wanted to know if anybody can help me with setting RF Gain?
Do you mean how to set it as in the video or what level should you set it at?
The video appears self explanatory and I would set the RF gain at max. The RF gain control sets the sensitivity of the receiver.
RF gain controls are normally or use to be just a manual potentiometer that worked like a volume control.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Being able to turn down the RF-Gain is simply another method of Noise-Reduction,
if You are talking to someone nearby, and You both have well designed and tuned Antennas,
then turning-down the RF-Gain will reduce the Background-Noise substantially,
but it also means that You could be stomping on someone else's conversation,
but You will never realize it, because You can't hear the weaker Signals around You.

"" Is this how string your ANT. will transmit or do I not understand what he is doing? ""
I don't understand this question.
Nothing is mentioned in the Video about Antennas.

Did You mean,
"Will this adjust the RF-Output-Power to the Antenna ?",
the answer is no,
RF-Gain-adjustment is a Receive-only function.
You can not adjust the RF-Output-Power,
it's less than ~4-Watts, possibly 5-Watts-Peak, and is strictly limited by the FCC.
You will get more effective Output-Power by installing a very efficient Antenna,
or by installing a more "Directional-Antenna".