18Pin Pic SOIC to 18pin Dip adaptor.

Geoffr67

Joined Dec 5, 2011
If you had jumpers, then yes - it would be programmable using an ICSP header.

But if your programmer doesn't have an ICSP port, then I'm not completely certain how it's capable of programming that uC. Is it listed as compatible with your Matrix Eblock?
that chip is compatable with the eblock as ive programmed one many times, I also have the olimex pic pg2c that i found in my drawr it does have a icsp header.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
To SgtWookie and Geoffr67; you don;t need a programmer with an ICSP header, you can still do ICSP on any programmer! I did for many years.

All you need to do is make a header that plugs in the IC socket on the programmer, and connect the 5 wires to it.

You can make the header by soldering 2 strips of pins into a piece of stripboard/veroboard, so that then plugs into the IC socket and has 5 wires coming from it.

Geoffr67

Joined Dec 5, 2011
To SgtWookie and Geoffr67; you don;t need a programmer with an ICSP header, you can still do ICSP on any programmer! I did for many years.

All you need to do is make a header that plugs in the IC socket on the programmer, and connect the 5 wires to it.

You can make the header by soldering 2 strips of pins into a piece of stripboard/veroboard, so that then plugs into the IC socket and has 5 wires coming from it.
Good to know! Can you confirm SGTWookies pin assignments for the pic 16f88 for ICSP? looks correct just want to make sure SGT.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
This information is from pages 3 and 4 of the document I linked to in reply #14:

Note that RB3 isn't used unless you have set the LVP bit to 1. You normally wouldn't use this.

The pins/signals needed for the ICSP header are:
Rich (BB code):
Pin  4:MCLR Vpp  P
Pin  5:Vss  Vss  P
Pin  9:RB3  PGM  I (only used if LVP bit = '1')
Pin 12:RB6 CLOCK I
Pin 13:RB7 DATA I/O
Pin 14:Vdd Vdd   P
I realized I'd left off the Vdd pin from the prior list; it's in there now.

Attachments

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Thanks for verifying SGT. it clears everything up! will try this on a breadboard tomorrow.
It looks like you got most of it correct. While I was asleep. You will find that is is some design considerations using this method. They are listed in an easy way here see section 3
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/51553E.pdf
Also do not use very long cables from the programmer to the board. I would also have used some sort of jumper for the PIC VCC connection. So during programming the VCC is coming from the programmer. And only powers the PIC.
I would recommend that you post your schematic here for comments before you make the PCB

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
ICSP cables up to a couple of feet long are usually ok if they are not high in capacitance. Don't use something high in capacitance like ribbon cable!

Also, the PIC on the device board can be powered by it's own board, in which case you really only need 4 ICSP wires;
MCLR
PGD
PGC
Gnd

And the PIC (and device board) can remain powered up at all times, that will not matter.