18Pin Pic SOIC to 18pin Dip adaptor.

Geoffr67

Joined Dec 5, 2011
Hello,
I have a supply of pic16F88 chips that are in the 300mil widebody SOIC package, looking at the datasheet they are pin for pin compatable with the 18pin PDIP counterpart, my issue is i cannot seem to find a SOIC to PDIP adaptor that seems to work with this smaller package. the one i have found is extremly high priced. Anyone got any leads on something suitable for programming this 18pin soic in my Matrix(Eblock) Pic programmer?
I would be very grateful for any advice on the subject!

Thank you all!
Geoff

Geoffr67

Joined Dec 5, 2011
Try here:
http://www.ezprototypes.com/DipAdaptersMain.php
Search for: "18 Pin Wide or Narrow SOIC to 300 mil DIP Adapter"
It's the 3rd entry in the 18 pin section.
Forgive my lack of information, I want to use the soic as is on a PCB i designed just for the soic package so im looking for something that would adapt the soic to the PDIP for programming only, remove the soic and solder to my pcb. I appreciate your response though SGT.

Geoffr67

Joined Dec 5, 2011
i know it sounds crazy but would it be possible to buy the adaptor you mentioned and carefully place the soic on the pads hold it down with a finger and then program. i know this might be considerd riskey but i would think it would work as long as the pins made good contact.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I wouldn't hold it down with my finger. I'd glue on some thin pieces of material to ensure that the pins of the IC would be lined up, and then make something out of plastic that was spring-loaded to keep the pins down on both sides evenly. Just pressing down on the top wouldn't be very reliable.

Geoffr67

Joined Dec 5, 2011
makes sense, so in other words make a jig to make sure the thing is lined up properly. thats a great idea! i will purchase one of those adaptors you listed and give it a try.
once again awesome idea SGT

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
You can buy "SOIC programming sockets" but they are expensive and fiddly annoying things to use.

Really if using SOIC on a PCB you should have added a ICSP header to the PCB so you can program the chip easily after it is soldered onto the PCB. :)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hi Roman,
I hear you - but our OP has a "Matrix(Eblock) Pic programmer", and I can only assume that it is not compatible with ICSP.

It's headaches like this that justify springing $50 for a PICkit 3 or something similar.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If your board is not designed yet. You may just provide accsess to the ICSP interface on the board 5.0 Wires/connection point will be needed. Then connect these 5 wires to your programmer. The only way to program a 16F88 is with the ICSP interface. I can tell you more if you like the idea

Geoffr67

Joined Dec 5, 2011
If your board is not designed yet. You may just provide accsess to the ICSP interface on the board 5.0 Wires/connection point will be needed. Then connect these 5 wires to your programmer. The only way to program a 16F88 is with the ICSP interface. I can tell you more if you like the idea

Please tell me more, i am reading that icsp can be finiky depending on the circuit the pic is installed in. i am going to need to use all ports on the pic as well how does this effect the programming.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
After staring at the board for a minute or so, I found it does indeed have an ICSP header near the :

You just need to provide an ICSP header on your PCB, and you need the jumper from your programmer to the project PCB.

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Here's the programming spec sheet for the PIC16F88:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/39607c.pdf

The pins/signals needed for the ICSP header are:
Rich (BB code):
Pin  4:MCLR Vpp  P
Pin  5:Vss  Vss  P
Pin  9:RB3  PGM  I (only used if LVP bit = '1')
Pin 12:RB6 CLOCK I
Pin 13:RB7 DATA I/O
Pin 14:Vdd Vdd   P
Do you have a board design started?

What software are you using for schematic capture and board layout?

Last edited:

Geoffr67

Joined Dec 5, 2011
After staring at the board for a minute or so, I found it does indeed have an ICSP header near the :

You just need to provide an ICSP header on your PCB, and you need the jumper from your programmer to the project PCB.

Darn, i have the V6 model which does not have this icsp header. looks like ill have to get the pickit2

Geoffr67

Joined Dec 5, 2011
Is it possible just to make those connections to those pins in the circuit on my pcb run them to a header and not have to worry about anything else? For instance solder the pic to my pcb where all pins will be used as in and outputs but tie off the required pins you listed SGT and just plug in my ICSP cable to the header and program. Is it that simple? forgive my newbie questions ive never messed with icsp and just want to make sure i get things right.

Geoffr67

Joined Dec 5, 2011
I can't tell you if it would be OK without reviewing your circuit.

at worse if it does not work as is in my circuit, couldent i just tie the required pins in to the icsp header on the pcb and have a set of jumpers that would essentially isolate those pins from the rest of the circuit, remove the tabs off the jumper program it, then reconnect the jumper after programming. i would think this would work worse case.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you had jumpers, then yes - it would be programmable using an ICSP header.

But if your programmer doesn't have an ICSP port, then I'm not completely certain how it's capable of programming that uC. Is it listed as compatible with your Matrix Eblock?

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I should think that should work, if you isolate the pins for programming. Probably also a good idea to have a way to disconnect the programmer from the pins for normal operation, as voltages from the programmer may affect how the PIC works in circuit.
You should be able to connect the 5 pins of the PIC to the relevant 5 pins of one of the the DIP sockets on the board.