18khz antenna

Dorrance

Joined Feb 19, 2011
This is going to be a weird project but I want to take a 9v battery and make a signal antenna that is 18khz. I have a dog that hates my goats. Lol. I plan on putting a invisible fence collar on my dog and the antenna on my goats to keep them away from one another. I was thinking of using an oscillator but not sure how to amplify and send out the signal. Can anyone help?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The normal collar that goes on the pet is a receiver, not a transmitter. Please specify the make and model of whichever transmitter or receiver you want to build a mate to. (How did you get to 18kHz? The common models don't use that frequency.)

Dorrance

Joined Feb 19, 2011
sorry I know the pet side of the collar is the receiver but I want to put a portable transmitter on a different animal. The brand I was looking at was Pet Safe. On PETsMART website is were I got the 18khz from. I don't have much time now but when I get a minute I'll give links. And maybe a little better explanation for what I'm trying to achieve. Thanks again

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I see here what you may be looking at. It does say 18kHz, but I'm not sure what that means. It would be very low for a radio frequency. It could be the tone broadcast by the radio. More research is called for.

The wireless systems use a LACK of signal to trigger a shock, whereas the in-ground wire systems use the PRESENCE of the signal to trigger. I believe you will need the latter, so that the dog gets a zap when he gets too close to the goats, who will be wearing transmitters?

It's obviously important here to define one side of the system and then try to build the mating side. I'd be a little concerned that the fancier systems use encoded signals and not just a steady broadcast of the carrier. It would be easy to broadcast a steady tone at 18kHz, but the receiver may be looking for a certain pulse sequence, like a remote control. I just don't know enough, except to ask the question.