Advice on career change to microcontrollers and embedded systems

Embedded492598

Joined Sep 29, 2022
Greetings everyone,

I´m a newly graduated Electronics Eng. and I´ve been working with components obsolescence management for 6 months now but I want to change my career focus to microcontrollers and embedded systems

I do know basics for C programming, used MPLAB IDE X and Proteus while on college and learned a bit about Altium and Silicon Expert on my job but I want guidance on the industry standards for this path

Sadly in my country there is a huge lack of companies/industries that require such knowledge so I´ll have to resort to self-study and climb the rungs by myself and I would really appreciate any tips

What softwares are most used for compiling, simulation and design?

Any videos, PDFs or guides that you would recommend?

Best regards from Brazil

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Greetings everyone,

I´m a newly graduated Electronics Eng. and I´ve been working with components obsolescence management for 6 months now but I want to change my career focus to microcontrollers and embedded systems

I do know basics for C programming, used MPLAB IDE X and Proteus while on college and learned a bit about Altium and Silicon Expert on my job but I want guidance on the industry standards for this path

Sadly in my country there is a huge lack of companies/industries that require such knowledge so I´ll have to resort to self-study and climb the rungs by myself and I would really appreciate any tips

What softwares are most used for compiling, simulation and design?

Any videos, PDFs or guides that you would recommend?

Best regards from Brazil
If you're using Microchip (PIC) MCUs, then MPLAB is quite good - even the free version.

Embedded492598

Joined Sep 29, 2022
Para chegar na frente é preciso suar um pouco... veja os cursos sérios no youtube. não brinque com brinquedos como Proteus ou Arduino. se você puder seguir o curso desse homem (https://www.youtube.com/c/StateMachineCOM) E CODIFICAR NESTE ESTILO o mundo se abrirá para você. Boa sorte e boa codificação seja homem e vá em frente !!
Agradeço muito pela dica, com certeza vou dar uma olhada

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I think the trends are going to be more toward IOT. Maybe you should learn ESP32. I mean, who wants a device that is not connected anymore?
IOT :D

Those ESP32 things are great but as a future EE embedded systems person using various controllers, IMO they need to learn how to build an equivalent (base functionality) system from parts (including discrete modules) instead of just using a complete module. There are micro-controllers designed for specific classes of applications that an ESP32 would do very poorly at. A basic requirement for the EE professional IMO is to learn about how chips work at a deeper level. Bare-metal boot-strap style.
https://vivonomicon.com/2019/03/30/getting-started-with-bare-metal-esp32-programming/

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Yes, I didn’t mean to imply he should specialize in the ESP32, just use it for learning how to do IOT devices.
A bit more than an ESP32, but all the quality and reliability of Microchip, he can buy microchip wifi SoC modules. About $11 each. Imthink Microchip got,the message about the desire of developers to have IoT capability. Their development teams have not been sitting on their hands in the past 10+ years since the ESP8266 was launched.
https://www.microchip.com/en-us/product/WFI32E01PC

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
A bit more than an ESP32, but all the quality and reliability of Microchip, he can buy microchip wifi SoC modules. About $11 each. Imthink Microchip got,the message about the desire of developers to have IoT capability. Their development teams have not been sitting on their hands in the past 10+ years since the ESP8266 was launched.
https://www.microchip.com/en-us/product/WFI32E01PC
1664504598025.png
I've used that chip for things other than direct IOT. You can tell the CPU is targeted to a specific class of applications as it's missing some high-end processor and module features found on others in the PIC32MZ class with lots of non-general extras needed for CPU wireless computing.

Agradeço muito pela dica, com certeza vou dar uma olhada
Deixe-me saber como você progride - aprenda ARM e RISC-V em tempo real (RTOS) em C, C++ e assembly e, em seguida, envie-me seu currículo para revisão

Let me know how you progress - learn ARM, and RISC-V real-time (RTOS) in C, C++, and assembly, then send me your resume for review

Embedded492598

Joined Sep 29, 2022
Deixe-me saber como você progride - aprenda ARM e RISC-V em tempo real (RTOS) em C, C++ e assembly e, em seguida, envie-me seu currículo para revisão

Let me know how you progress - learn ARM, and RISC-V real-time (RTOS) in C, C++, and assembly, then send me your resume for review
Pode deixar, agradeço muito o conselho e oportunidade

View attachment 277351
I've used that chip for things other than direct IOT. You can tell the CPU is targeted to a specific class of applications as it's missing some high-end processor and module features found on others in the PIC32MZ class with lots of non-general extras needed for CPU wireless computing.
what does your contribution have to do with the topic..Advice on career change to microcontrollers and embedded systems

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
what does your contribution have to do with the topic..Advice on career change to microcontrollers and embedded systems
It's advice on what a person in the field should understand about the devices they design with. Device selection is important as some controllers are designed to target specific applications like wireless where you might need a dedicated cryptographic module and register interfaces where a device designed for motor control would likely not need that but would need specialized PWM modules and hardware floating point designed to create 3-phase waveform for things like BLDC motors.

Actual experts should know and understand these sort of things.