OLED Display lifetime

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I have just bought one of these: OLED Displays
It works and will do the job very nicely, however I gather that their lifetime is just 1000 hours which is not very long if it is on all the time.
Can anyone suggest an alternative, about the same size, which will last a much longer time?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The first question is does it really need to be on FULL all the time. For long term monitoring projects I typically blank or dim the display after X time of interaction inactivity (no buttons pressed, no commands or significant input variations). There is usually a external trigger or some type of HID interaction that will turn the display back to normal.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The first question is does it really need to be on FULL all the time. For long term monitoring projects I typically blank or dim the display after X time of interaction inactivity (no buttons pressed, no commands or significant input variations). There is usually a external trigger or some type of HID interaction that will turn the display back to normal.
This is indeed the case for my present project but I wondered if there was, for instance, an LCD of similar size I could use (thinking only text).

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I use Winstar OLED displays, and the claimed lifetime is 50,000 to 100,000 hours.
So far I've not been impressed.
If they are run at full brightness there is an equivalent of "phosphor burn".
I have about a couple of dozen out in field, but about half a dozen dead ones on the bench, that don't light up at all.
I'm told that they are going to overtake LCDs in popularity, but I'm not sure I believe it - they are now four times the price of the equivalent LCD and the gap is getting wider.

The best selection of displays I've ever seen is at www.buydisplay.com
I've just bought a 240x64 LCD panel with a view of replacing the OLED.

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
As mentioned, I also dim the OLED displays. It's done via software commands.

There are 2x8 and even 1x8 traditional LCD's, if that's what you're looking for. They're more expensive, though. And Digi, Mouser, et. al. carry small LCD's, but they require drivers. LCD's can be bad, too, though. Fluke 8050A multimeter LCD's commonly died...I got one on eBay for cheap because of the failed LCD, and replaced it with an OLED.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
As mentioned, I also dim the OLED displays. It's done via software commands.

There are 2x8 and even 1x8 traditional LCD's, if that's what you're looking for. They're more expensive, though. And Digi, Mouser, et. al. carry small LCD's, but they require drivers. LCD's can be bad, too, though. Fluke 8050A multimeter LCD's commonly died...I got one on eBay for cheap because of the failed LCD, and replaced it with an OLED.
You're complaining about the lifetime of a display that was 1979 vintage technology on the Fluke 8050A? I think you need a more convincing example.