DPDT Relay with two coils that is non-latching

edwcler

Joined Aug 27, 2022
I am looking for a relay with 2 coils that would function like a momentary DPDT switch. I need to automate the control of this motor in a hoist. The current wiring looks like this diagram.
If a DPDT, NON LATCHING, relay that had 2 coils existed I could drop that in where S1 exists and be off and running. I can't seem to find that kind of relay though. Any suggestions? Hoist Wiring Schematic.JPG

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Don't understand why you want to actuate all of S1's contacts at the same time. :confused:
Isn't one set of contacts to go up and the other set to go down?

edwcler

Joined Aug 27, 2022
This is what is confusing to me. I have never seen a motor that is wired this way. The schematic is from a pre-wired hoist that is from harbor freight. Yes one direction goes up and the other goes down.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You haven't answered my question as to why you apparently want to activate the up and down contacts at the same time.
That would likely blow something.

How is this going to be "automated"?

edwcler

Joined Aug 27, 2022
You haven't answered my question as to why you apparently want to activate the up and down contacts at the same time.
That would likely blow something.

How is this going to be "automated"?
There is never going to be a situation where both up and down are activated at the same time. There isn't any automation, but I want to activate them remotely with a remote control. Something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Mul...shbutton+remote+with+receiver,tools,86&sr=1-5

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
There is never going to be a situation where both up and down are activated at the same time.
Hence my continuing confusion about why you want a DPDT relay controlled by two different coils.
That would operate the up and down together which makes no sense to me.

It seems to me you want two SPDT relays, one for up and one for down, as Switch S1 does now.

Last edited:

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
It seems to me you want two SPDT relays, one for up and one for down, as Switch S1 does now.
S1 is a DPDT momentary switch with the center OFF. The only way I see to achieve that is using two DPDT relays.
That would operate the up and down together which makes no sense to me.
I don't understand why you think that. Each DPDT relay duplicates one half side of S1A and S1B

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
I believe the TS was using the wrong description for what was needed. When I think of a dual coil relay it means a latching type.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
A Key-Chain-Dongle controlling a Hoist is always going to be a bad-idea.

This is a Life-Safety related situation being implemented by someone with no experience.

If the OSHA-Man catches You doing this he will lock your doors until it's removed,
and charge You a Big-Fat-Fine as well.