Need help! Stepper motors

royashley99

Joined Nov 20, 2021
I am wanting to control nema 17 hybrid high torque stepper motors that have a rating of 2.8v 1.33A. Which controller is best to use for it?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
The choice of best controller for you project will depend on everything the program will have to do when controlling the stepper motors. Can you give us a full description of what the controller will have to do please? Then we can help you to find a suitable controller.

royashley99

Joined Nov 20, 2021
This is the data sheet on the website. The model is FL42STH33-1334A / 200620. This the memo from the website i got them from [BIPOLAR STEPPING MOTOR NEMA-17 HIGH TORQUE HYBRID , 2.8V, 1.33A, 1.8DEGREE, 4 WIRE]

Attachments

Last edited:

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
This is the data sheet on the website. The model is FL42STH33-1334A / 200620. This the memo from the website i got them from [BIPOLAR STEPPING MOTOR NEMA-17 HIGH TORQUE HYBRID , 2.8V, 1.33A, 1.8DEGREE, 4 WIRE]
That is the details of the stepping motors. From that you can determine what hardware you will need to supply the required power and what to select to switch the power to the inputs, but I still have no idea what your controller is supposed to do.
What are the inputs to you system that will determine what the motors should do?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
What you need is help to select the best stepper motor driver module. I don't have enough experience with them to make recommendations.
For selecting a power supply, you will need to know how much voltage is dropped across the driver when it is conducting. The supply voltage will need to be that voltage plus the required voltage across the motor. If there is a possibility of all the motors being activated at the same time, to be on the safe side, I would recommend a maximum supply current of around 35A.

Last edited:

royashley99

Joined Nov 20, 2021
A issue i have with this stepper motor is its rated 2.8v and all the drivers ive seen can't output that low voltage, should i try find another stepper motor or just a driver?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
The 2.8V is the voltage when the motor is stopped. When it is moving, you need more voltage to bring the current up between steps. The faster you want it to go, the more voltage you need. The controller sets the current by pulsing that higher voltage. You probably want about 12V to run that motor.

So, you want a controller that can handle 12V and 1.33 A. The current should be settable on the controller.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The thing is that most motors don't really care about the voltage across them, they care mostly about the current through them. You size the power supply to allow for some losses. For example, with motors rated a 2.8 Volts, IMHO a supply that can supply the required current at 6-8VDC should be just fine.

We actually used a bi-level supply with 40V @ 4A and 8V @ 25A for 3 separate motors on a 3-axis engraving machine. When a phase was 1st turned on it would see 40V and when the current rose to the rated level the 40 V supply was cut off and the 8V supply took over for that phase. The motors were rated at 3.36 V and 4A