Extractor fan control

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Does it have an induction motor or a universal motor? It will definitely work with a universal motor, and maybe work with an induction motor.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
The universal motor is a type of electric motor that can operate on either AC or DC power and uses an electromagnet as its stator to create its magnetic field. It is a commutated series-wound motor where the stator's field coils are connected in series with the rotor windings through a commutator.
You can quickly identify an induction motor because it has a capacitor.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A universal motor is one with a commutator and brushes and a wound rotor. THAT is usually easy to spot. And I can not imagine ever using a universal motor for a fan application in an area with AC mains. Universal motors ar way to noisy.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A universal motor is one with a commutator and brushes and a wound rotor. THAT is usually easy to spot. And I can not imagine ever using a universal motor for a fan application in an area with AC mains. Universal motors ar way to noisy.
I am assuming you meant wound field?
Also the rotor is required to be in series with the field.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I never mentioned a field at all. A commutator and brushes are obvious, as is the wound rotor. A field is not quite so obvious and so I did not mention it;

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
My point was, a wound commutator motor can involve a few different motors.
A Universal is defined by the series field and can be used on both AC & DC.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
The lesson here is that it's likely to cost You more to control the "cheap-Fan"
that it would have cost to buy something more appropriate to the job.

You need a "low-rpm" Motor with a very "high-pitch" Fan-Blade, or a Centrifugal-Blower,
this arrangement will move more Air, while creating the least amount of noise.

A Centrifugal-Blower, running <1000rpm, would probably be the best solution.