looking for a list of ESP32 sketch programming commands

Shyam Gupta

Joined Apr 26, 2007
Hi experts,
I am just starting with ESP32. Nothing serious, just for hobby projects.
I am looking for a list of programming commands with some minimum description/explanation for use in ESP32 sketches.

I know that sketch commands are part of header files e.g. <wifi.h> or <time.h> etc. included in the sketch
But how do I know which all <xxx.h> header files are available for ESP32 at all?
I assume that there would be some documentation available somewhere on Internet on this. Would be very greatful if someone could direct me to any "Link" or Website for this, please.

Thanks and best regards

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
There will not be a definite answer to your question as just about anything will be available if it is written. You can write your own and add to the "programming commands".
There are many add-on libraries that folk have published and this too can be confusing as many have the same name but operate in a different manner.
So, you will not be able to get a full list of commands.
Oh, and I am not an expert, just a user passing on my observations.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
For the record, what you want are function calls not commands. In the Arduino world, libraries are often for all or a list of architectures. This means that a list of all function calls that would apply to the ESP32 would be uselessly large.

The easiest way to get an idea of the important libraries is to look through the examples and play around modifying them. The list of examples for ESP that install with the community board support is a good starting point to get an idea of which libraries would be particularly applicable.

Good luck with your learning. You can always ask specific questions here, there is plenty of help to be found.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I would suggest you Google projects that do something similar to your intents, Study that code and see how you can adapt it to your exact needs.

For the most part I find these projects libraries poorly documented and you will need the sample examples and some reverse engineering to get things up and running.

wyzarddoc

Joined Jul 30, 2018
Since you used the term Sketch I infer that you are using the Arduino API/GUI. So most of your programming will be in C/C++. You can Find libraries that are pre-made on the site for many things you may want to do. https://randomnerdtutorials.com/ is a great site for ESP32 stuff and offer great training info. GitHub is another great place for libraries and examples. Have fun

Shyam Gupta

Joined Apr 26, 2007
Since you used the term Sketch I infer that you are using the Arduino API/GUI. So most of your programming will be in C/C++. You can Find libraries that are pre-made on the site for many things you may want to do. https://randomnerdtutorials.com/ is a great site for ESP32 stuff and offer great training info. GitHub is another great place for libraries and examples. Have fun
Hi everyone,
Thanks a lot for your comments and hints. They are very helpful.
I will try to work my way through those as applicable on project by project basis.
Thanks again and best regards