How to rewind a small motor 120V, 6.5A

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
My chainsaw motor has burnt out and I want to rewind it if only for the challenge. Fortunately, it is not the armatoure but the field windings that have burnt. Looking for ideas:
What insulation to use to line the poles so as to rewind them.
What varnish to use on the windings.
What is the best way to rewind i.e. on a bobbin and then slip the windings on to the poles?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What insulation to use to line the poles so as to rewind them.
What varnish to use on the windings.
The traditional method we used to use, was chop one end of the windings off with a cold chisel, then punch the winding out, count the turns and make a bobbin former in order to wind the coils.
Presspahn paper was used to reline the slots.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Varnish not so important on a field, not sure where you can get Presspahn now, it has been a few decades since I needed any.
A local winding shop may sell you a small piece for the job. Or tell you where you can get it.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Or:
She can do diesel engines as well:
I love the innovative ring compressor!
Interesting how the camera cuts as soon as a heavy lift happens. As the rotor is pulled from the housing - the camera zooms for a second so you can just see hands (hands that just fit into the gloves instead of being too large for the gloves). Also, when the Diesel engine was slowly moved to the lower table, a nice wide angle was suddenly interrupted and the motor magically appears on the lower table. I have no problem showing that she has an assistant for heavy items - I do have a problem implying that she is doing it all by herself. Also, I liked the video in Post 2 better.

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
I have got the motor rewound and about to test it. Just want to check - it has 2 field coils which I connected in series. So, assume I have to series this with the armature, so the 120V is applied to the series combination of the field and aramture.

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
Thanks. Join the 2 poles in series and then add the armature in series i.e. pole-pole-armature or pole-armature-pole?

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
Reversed, still the same humming sound and no rotation. Checked the armature - shows continuity and looks OK.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Use LV DC and test the polarity of the fields with a Compass, for a N & S field.
It is possible your armature was also damaged in the original burn out !?