Design rules or Guidelines for Dies

DR_PCBSensei

Joined May 19, 2022
In the world of PCBs there are many guidelines and rules established regarding trace width, spacing, material thickness and so on. I would like to know if there are rules/guidelines for designing Dies, especially when involving High Voltage. A lot of times the gap or clearance requirement for PCBs are larger than the actual Die, so can not be used the same way.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I would like to know if there are rules/guidelines for designing Dies, especially when involving High Voltage.
There are many design rules for integrated circuits. But high voltage devices would typically be single devices with only a single layer of metal and would only require larger spacing to reduce the electric field to something tolerable.

DR_PCBSensei

Joined May 19, 2022
Welcome to AAC!

There are many design rules for integrated circuits. But high voltage devices would typically be single devices with only a single layer of metal and would only require larger spacing to reduce the electric field to something tolerable.
Hi Dennis, thank you for replying, I am curious what that spacing is. For example, in the PCB world there is IPC, which states, when the conductor is internally routed for 500V, the gap or clearance should be 0.250mm or when it's external it should be 2.50mm. What would be the required spacing be for Dies which fall into the same range of voltage?