ESP-WROOM-02 is not responding to AT commands as expected

Bruno Malbusca

Joined Apr 30, 2017
I using the ESP-WROOM-02 (esp8266 core) as WIFI module and the samd21g18 as main processing unit. To test, I´m using the ESP-WROOM-02 DEV board kitc and an Arduino nano IOT which has also a samd21g18 MCU. I flashed the ESP-WROOM-02 via the ESP flash download tool with the [AT Firmware v2.2.1.0][1] . The user guide highlights that the default ESP8266 RTOS AT firmware for ESP-WROOM-02 swaps RX/TX with CTS/RTS.

image_2022-02-17_124131.png

For testing the UART, I used the Arduino Serial monitor and the UART connected to the on-board FTDI. To link the new pins (IO15 and IO13) , I connected the pin RX0 to IO13 and the TX to IO15 as a bypass.
When I sent any AT command (or any thing that I wrote on serial) the ESP always returned an empty line and a new line saying ready. Fist I tough that was the CR and line ending, I tried all combinations a didn´t worked.

Serial monitor

To understand was happening I connected a logic analyser to RX0 in order to check if was the same as what I was sending via serial monitor. And it was sending right.

Then, I connected the logic to the IO15 (ESP TX). But something appeared wrong. The first message is missing a bit.

image (2).png
image (1).png
I tested then using an arduino nano iot 33 (uses 3.3V level) to send the AT commands to ESP. I connected directly the arduino to IO15 and IO13 but the result was worst, since the ESP didn´t replied anything to the arduino.
The code:

C++:
#include <Arduino.h>
#include "wiring_private.h"

//see https://github.com/ostaquet/Arduino-Nano-33-IoT-Ultimate-Guide
Uart Serial0 (&sercom0, 5, 6, SERCOM_RX_PAD_1, UART_TX_PAD_0);
String a;

// Attach the interrupt handler to the SERCOM
void SERCOM0_Handler()
{
    Serial0.IrqHandler();
}

void setup() {
  pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);      // set LED pin as output
  digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, LOW);    // switch off LED pin

// Reassign pins 5 and 6 to SERCOM alt
  pinPeripheral(5, PIO_SERCOM_ALT);
  pinPeripheral(6, PIO_SERCOM_ALT);

Serial.begin(115200);               // initialize serial communication at 9600 bits per second:

// Start my new hardware serial
  Serial0.begin(115200);

}

void loop() {

Serial0.println("AT+GMR");
      while (Serial0.available()) {
        a = Serial0.readString();
        Serial.print(a);
      }
      delay(1000);

}

The ESP TX, in other hand, does not reply at all. Also I tried to slow the baud rate to 9600 (at the user guide says to test with 115200). note that I have the grounds connect to each board.
Any help would be grateful.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Bruno,
Have you checked the ESP32 serial comms format is compatible with serial IDE monitor.?

This video explains some details about the ESP32 serial set up.
E