Are there Dupont type connectors for larger gauges (14-18)

Jeffery Vahrenkamp

Joined Jun 16, 2016
I am building a sprinkler controller, and I realized that the Dupont/PCB/breadboard female connectors I use for my microController are the perfect size for my doorbell wire (20ga). I have been using screw terminals for the sprinkler wires on my previous versions of my controller, but have had my eye out for something smaller and spring-loaded. Unfortunately, 18ga is just too big to fit in the connectors.

Does anyone know if there are cheap connectors that would accept 18ga? Larger wires would be a bonus. The closest I've found are the connectors on the back of speakers, but they are too pricy. Looking for around $.01-.05 per pin connected.

Last edited:

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
The connector type you refer to is known as WAGO connectors, variously a push-fit or a sliding/lever catch arrangement. You can find branded one or similar copies on eBay and Amazon as well as the usual professional outlets (RS, Digikey, Mouser, etc)

1643484017232.png
1643483884629.png1643484122833.png

Jeffery Vahrenkamp

Joined Jun 16, 2016
Picture please...
Do you require tenth inch spacing and 0.025" square pins and receptacles?

I'd like the 0.1 in spacing with the screw terminals, but they are 0.2 and a bit deeper than I'd like. Just making a wish list
Picture please...
Picture please...

I did like that the standard pin headers took up half the space of the screw terminals, which are spaced 0.2 in and also our deeper front to back. Was hoping for something that could accommodate .05" diameter wire (~ 16 guage).

These are the speaker connectors I was talking about, but are a bit larger than I want.
https://images.app.goo.gl/4inAeHvimyamEs677

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The Wago connectors @Irving mentioned are excellent, I use them all the time for everything from mains wiring to prototyping using high gauge stranded wire. They work a treat.

But if they aren't what you are looking for, there are a variety of "eurostyle" terminal blocks with screws, spring clamps, and even detachable bodies so they can be unplugged. Here's an example catalog, but there are many styles.

1643584089786.png

Jeffery Vahrenkamp

Joined Jun 16, 2016
@Yaakov and @Irving thanks for these links. Looks like if I want below 2.5 pitch those are all for > 20 ga wire . If I want thicker wire I have to do at least 3.5 . Which is not a problem. I am realizing I could probably put some sort of holes on the pcb with the right size. Maybe one hole for 18ga and another for 14ga. Might be good enough for sprinkler wires... I'll have to try a few of these out to see.

Thanks again for the links.