My first commercial circuit...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It's finally here. I've been requested close to about 5,000 units of a small circuit I designed, and now I need to delegate its PCB production and assembly. My plan is to have the supplier partially assemble the circuit and then adding myself a few through hole parts and finishing touches to try to keep the price down and things as confidential as possible.

For this purpose I've chosen PCBWay, but right now I'm open to suggestions as to other suppliers.

Here's the thing, I've always designed my circuits using AutoCAD and manually put them together in-house, and I've produced my own PCB's using a transfer technique of my own creation.

But now I need to learn to use a software capable of producing the Gerber files requested by PCBWay so I can get a quote and put things in motion.

Any suggestion as to which software (preferably freeware, or as inexpensive as possible) would be best for my venture? My boards will only be using two layers, and measure about 2" x 1-1/2"

Edit: red alert... paging @MaxHeadRoom, @nsaspook, @ericgibbs, et al ... HELP!

Last edited:

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
I use Diptrace for simple board designs. It includes an autorouter as well. Free version is limited to 300 "pins"
I've sent Gerber files from Diptrace to those off shore PCB houses, no issues.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
It's finally here. I've been requested close to about 5,000 units of a small circuit I designed, and now I need to delegate its PCB production and assembly. My plan is to have the supplier partially assemble the circuit and then adding myself a few through hole parts and finishing touches to try to keep the price down and things as confidential as possible.
Congratulations, amigo. Great work.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I have Eagle version 7.6.x, and it was freeware. when did they start charging?

The installation file is 55 MB. If you have Dropbox of some other large file holder, I'm happy to send it to you.

ak

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013

For this purpose I've chosen PCBWay, but right now I'm open to suggestions as to other suppliers.

Here's the thing, I've always designed my circuits using AutoCAD and manually put them together in-house, and I've produced my own PCB's using a transfer technique of my own creation.

But now I need to learn to use a software capable of producing the Gerber files requested by PCBWay so I can get a quote and put things in motion.

Any suggestion as to which software (preferably freeware, or as inexpensive as possible) would be best for my venture? My boards will only be using two layers, and measure about 2" x 1-1/2"

Edit: red alert... paging @MaxHeadRoom, @nsaspook, @ericgibbs, et al ... HELP!
Your choice of PCB software should consider the type of circuit to be laid out. Is it mixed analog/digital? RF? etc..
Will you be exchanging design files with a third party? How many layers? Max components?
Many freeware versions of PCB software has limits on #layers and/or #components.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have used FREE Kicad since ver4.00 and find it super,
The new ver 6 has just been released
If new to it, there is a bit of a learning curve.
I have some very good video's I posted a while back , a search should uncover if needed. They are for the ver 4. but it explains some of the operations that are very similar in the new edition.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Thanks, guys! ... I've just gone through the proposed options, and I think that Kicad is the better choice, since it's not only about graphics but it also has simulation capabilities and 3D viewing of the finished assembly. And those are features that might come in handy in the future.

I just hope that the learning curve that Max mentioned doesn't prove to be too steep.

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
You might consider EasyEDA offered by JLCPCB. It truly is easy to learn and use, and unlike some vendor-offered software, your files are private, and it generates standard Gerber files that can be used by any vendor at no cost.

The component library is huge, covering most parts supplied by their sister company LCSC (Chinese equivalent of Digikey) and most western components also.

It's simple to generate the needed assembly files and BOMs needed for assembly.

JLC offers a nearly free assembly service for SMT components in their assembly library. Many commonly used components are in their "basic" library; less commonly used parts are in their "extended" library, which incur an additional $3 setup charge per order. The service is intended for orders of 5 or 10 boards, but it's worth a look and some discussion for your larger project

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have designed boards using Autocad and dealt with board houses able to convery to gerber format somehow. BUT LAYERS MATTER a whole lot. And the learning curve between Eagle and Autocad is long and steep.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
You might consider EasyEDA offered by JLCPCB. It truly is easy to learn and use, and unlike some vendor-offered software, your files are private, and it generates standard Gerber files that can be used by any vendor at no cost.

The component library is huge, covering most parts supplied by their sister company LCSC (Chinese equivalent of Digikey) and most western components also.

It's simple to generate the needed assembly files and BOMs needed for assembly.

JLC offers a nearly free assembly service for SMT components in their assembly library. Many commonly used components are in their "basic" library; less commonly used parts are in their "extended" library, which incur an additional $3 setup charge per order. The service is intended for orders of 5 or 10 boards, but it's worth a look and some discussion for your larger project
But JLCPCB have been limiting PCb assembly to 50 boards.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Congrats on the revenue - not a trivial accomplishment! As an entrepreneur of hardware-based systems, myself, I know how difficult this milestone can be to achieve... whether it came easily or simply, it's quite an accomplishment!

I'd use KiCad for where it sounds like you are... it's free and is reasonably equipped for pretty complex PCB's... as you advance, I'd suggest Altium Designer... it is expensive, but will be a reasonable expense as your company becomes more successful and is the status-quo for startups.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Thanks, guys! ... I've just gone through the proposed options, and I think that Kicad is the better choice, since it's not only about graphics but it also has simulation capabilities and 3D viewing of the finished assembly. And those are features that might come in handy in the future.

I just hope that the learning curve that Max mentioned doesn't prove to be too steep.
OK, now a question: how much does KICad cost??

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
It's finally here. I've been requested close to about 5,000 units of a small circuit I designed, and now I need to delegate its PCB production and assembly.
Otherwise known as a good problem to have. Congratulations and Godspeed!

Nothing more satisfying than to see your work replicated over and over.

I'm so curious about the board itself. I'd sign an NDA to get as peek (and offer better suggestions).
Why ask us when you can ask Google?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Zilch ! :cool:
It started out 30yrs ago when a univ professor came up with the program for his students.
It is open source software.
Since then there have been alot of very skilled programmers working on it. A couple of years ago CERN got involved which pushed it along a bit.
I found it equal to Orcad
Autocad is not a suitable schematic capture for circuit boards, IMO.