PCB design question for a noobie

Cblue X

Joined Aug 15, 2021
Hi everyone! im new in thsi forum, first of all sorry for my english im not a native english speaker; im new also in PCB design with Altium; i have some questions and i will appreciate your help.First of all if im onluy using 2 layers (Top layer and bottom layer), what is the best options to put th pads, in the top or the bottom layer?; second, where is the best choice to put the traces in the top or bottom layer? third, would you recommend me to use a trace for GND connection or a GND plane?, and last, the GND plane is recommend on the top or the bottom layer?
Thanks in advance!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

1) The PCB CAD program will draw pads on both top and bottom layers.

2) If you focus on a single sided layout, most traces go on the bottom and hard to route traces can go on top.

However, there are different approaches depending on the complexity of the board and whether it is analog or digital and the type of components, discrete or ICs.

In one approach you can place power and ground on the bottom layer and signals on the top.

In another, horizontal traces go on the top layer and vertical traces on the bottom. This may help in routing and minimize the number of vias.

3) Trace or ground plane depends on the function of the circuit, noise level and frequency.

4) If a ground plane is desired, it goes on the bottom. Signals go on the top. But this is not a rule.

In summary, the circuit function, complexity, analog vs digital, component packaging, and frequency and power level will all dictate your choice.

Buena Suerte!

Juhahoo

Joined Jun 3, 2019
EVERYTHING depends on the design criteria, voltage, current, complexity, space, height, SMD or TH etc etc etc etc. There is no obvious absolute rule and very often you make compromises. The best is to look for ready made boards how they are done and why. Certain boards are made certain way for certain reasons.

click_here

Joined Sep 22, 2020
You need to start somewhere - So put the pads on the top layer so that you can see the components silk screen layer the right way around and put the ground polygon pour on the bottom layer.

Hi, I would recommend using the GND plane and should be good at the bottom layer. Traces would also be placed at the bottom layer as it makes it easier to cut and jumper mistakes. One of my friends who also faced the same issue contacted the electronics manufacturing team. Looking forward to hearing from you after making it to the next level. Thank you!.

Moderators note : removed hidden spam link

Last edited by a moderator: