Hand held PC idea thoughts and suggestions

Killerbee65

Joined May 15, 2017
Hello all,

I recently came back from vacation and while there I wanted to have the ability to play my PC games but my laptop couldn't handle what I wanted to play and my desktop is literally a desk. I came up with the idea of making a handheld pc that could run aaa games but after much research I found that my requirements were close to impossible. I wanted a computer that was less than 10 inches in length, less than 9 inches in height, about as thick as a switch pro controller, and all be less than or around $500...yes. After some digging and much frustration I found that the Razer blade 14 with a rtx 3000 series card was good enough and I could compromise on it being 14 inches long. But it was close to impossible finding the motherboard of the model I wanted and it didn't help that the motherboards I did see were well above the $500 mark. And that's not including the battery, mini monitor, and controller. I found SOME comfort in Single Board Computers but the one I found to be suitable for my needs might end up bottle necking a good enough gpu (good enough being above a gtx 1660 card) the board in question is the UDOO bolt V8. Not only that but also powering anything stronger than a 1660 with a battery is also a problem I have yet to find a solution to. The closest response I've seen online is hooking up a desktop to a pretty hefty battery which would defeat the purpose of making it portable. Again I know just buying a laptop will cure all of this but I have yet to see a laptop that is under 10 inches, play aaa at a consistent 60 fps, and be affordable (under the $500 mark). I know for some of you it might seem like a lost cause but I love building and learning so if you will, please lend me your suggestions and advice. Thank you all for your response.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The limitation is the $500. Double that and go to an Apple store and they can help you. Or you might need to triple that. For a bit less than $1500 you can certainly get the computer you seek.

Killerbee65

Joined May 15, 2017
The limitation is the $500. Double that and go to an Apple store and they can help you. Or you might need to triple that. For a bit less than $1500 you can certainly get the computer you seek.
It's funny because just last night I found the gpd win 3 which is a 5 inch switch like gaming handheld pc. Its 1400 which is almost 3x the asking price but with that accessibility and convenience to me, I feel the price is justified.