3D Printers

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I have My DeskTop Computer and My Printer in My Bedroom.

I was going to Buy a 3D Printer but I See on YouTube they give Off Fumes that are are Toxic.

But I have 2. Bit Windows in My Bedroom and a Ceiling Fan.

Now if I Open both My Windows and put My Ceiling Fan On and Closse the Bedroom Door and Leave till it Prints will it be ok?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Depends on what filament you choose.
PLA and ABS are perhaps the most common. I print with both I have not noticed any obnoxious fumes.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
PLA is quite ok.
There has been some on line comments on ABS fumes, but I do not use ABS myself so have not looked into it.
2 of my printers are inside the house and the third is in my workshop.
It is worth while reading the filament product sheets for the manufacture's recommendations.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Plus, depending on your printers design, nearby fans can affect the quality of your printing. Parts of the object may cool too fast, resulting in weak points

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
When I was picking up my printer (Ender 3 Pro) I was very interested in printing ABS. Another customer advised me to start with PLA, so I tossed a spool of that into my cart.

I almost finished a three "story" printer cart using three Ikea Lack tables (google that, lots of good work out there) out of PLA. Used a 2x2' sheet of 3/4" ply from HD, with casters, as the base. Great storage and easy to turn or move.

However, I never put the top on as I'm having too much fun building stuff from PLA to bother a new phase of experimenting with ABS. When I do I might make an exhaust port to blow any fumes outside (where my herb smoking neighbors can enjoy them).