What power supply should be used for a 24V 500W Brushed DC Motor?

rsuhaas93

Joined Feb 11, 2021
Hello,

I have 24V - 500W Brushed DC Motor (Commonly used E-bike motor - Chinese Make - MY1016). I eventually plan to run it using Arduino PWM and 24V 30 Amps SMPS.

For Testing the motor I tried to power it directly (without the E-bike driver provided in the kit):

1) Using a 230V AC to 12V AC - 10 Amps step down transformer and a bridge rectifier - Works fine (definitely with lesser power - could stop the shaft by hand)

2) Using a 24V 10 Amps SMPS - Doesn't start at all..!
(Tested the SMPS for fault, using other stepper motors, its working fine.)

Need some help figuring out what might be the cause.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi 93,
A 500Watt 24Vdc motor requires , 500W/24V = ~20Amps to run at full power.
For starting and stalling it will require a higher current.

A 24V at 10Amp PSU is not suitable.
E

rsuhaas93

Joined Feb 11, 2021
Thanks Eric..!

Wonder how it started working in the 12V setup. Also, would you happen to know about any DC motor drivers that I could use to control this motor using Arduino for a GRBL Spindle (condition here is that we have only two pins coming out of Arduino for control - one for direction and the other one for speed i.e., PWM)

GRBL pinout: https://github.com/grbl/grbl/wiki/Connecting-Grbl

-Suhas

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Wonder how it started working in the 12V setup
That was because it wasn't a SMPS. SMPS should not be used for motors unless you pick one really over the required current for the motor. A SMPS has protections built into it that shut them down fast when over tasked, like motors do. Brushed DC motors are pretty forgiving voltage wise too, some where around 1/2 the motor voltage to some where around twice will work on them.