How do YOU cook eggs in the Microwave?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello there,

Recently i realized that getting scrambled eggs cooked in the microwave oven without any special equipment (for inside the microwave) is not that easy to get JUST right. The problem seems to be that the transition point between gooey and solid is very narrow in time. In other words, at total time 2:30 it might be still gooey and at 2:35 it might be solid, and at 2:40 it is overdone. Another factor is that the heating from the microwave signals penetrates the egg mass differently than with a frying pan on an open fire or electric burner. This leads to me having to constantly stop the microwave and mix the mass, then start again, then stop and mix, then start again, etc., etc.

In the frying pan it takes about 3 minutes to make scrambled eggs and they come out perfect every time.

Now i have used a microwave oven fry grill that gets hot and then you can break one egg on it and fry it just like on a regular stovetop with a regular frying pan, but i just wonder if there are any other ideas out there.

I have been making scrambled eggs in the microwave for years now with no fry grill insert but i never realized how much of a difference a fry grill or regular frying pan makes.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Add 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil to the egg before mixing. Do you add milk to the egg, too? Use water instead (or seltzer water for fluffier eggs).

It depends on the microwave, too. Mine takes 1:40 minutes to get one egg to perfect. After the oven stops, leave the egg alone for 30 seconds. The remaining liquid will cook from the heat of the egg.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi dj,
I add 1/2 tea spoon of olive oil onto the top of the frozen mix before microwave, then stir in while hot, nice.
E

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Add 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil to the egg before mixing. Do you add milk to the egg, too? Use water instead (or seltzer water for fluffier eggs).

It depends on the microwave, too. Mine takes 1:40 minutes to get one egg to perfect. After the oven stops, leave the egg alone for 30 seconds. The remaining liquid will cook from the heat of the egg.
Ok thanks i will try that.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Al,
Any eggs that a coming close their Use by Date, I freeze down, using the above method.

I should have been more egg-act in my post. ;)

E

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
FWIW... We gave up on nuking eggs years ago as the results compared to pan scrambling just weren't as good and not that much more difficult to do.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Suggestion , make certain to take shell off,
when I first had a microwave in the 80's, I did not know..

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
FWIW... We gave up on nuking eggs years ago as the results compared to pan scrambling just weren't as good and not that much more difficult to do.
Ditto. I don't make any egg dish in the MW. No point to it. The microwave is great for a lot of things but properly cooking eggs ain't it.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
hi Al,
Any eggs that a coming close their Use by Date, I freeze down, using the above method.

I should have been more egg-act in my post. ;)

E
Oh i see what you mean now. Yes that's a very good idea too i'll have to keep that in mind. I dont always use up my food that quickly so longer time storage is always an issue for me too.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Yes that is what i was finding too. I havent tried the ideas here yet though.
One thing is clear though and that is using a frying pan is very very fast compared to using the MW oven.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Ditto. I don't make any egg dish in the MW. No point to it. The microwave is great for a lot of things but properly cooking eggs ain't it.
One thing i did like about making eggs in the MW oven is that i can use a disposable vessel such as a styrofoam cup. Once the eggs are eaten the cup can be simply thrown out. Very quick cleanup.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
One thing i did like about making eggs in the MW oven is that i can use a disposable vessel such as a styrofoam cup. Once the eggs are eaten the cup can be simply thrown out. Very quick cleanup.
You may want to read up on all the chemicals that migrate out of plastics into your foods when microwaving. I quit using plastic except for storage in the fridge

402DF855

Joined Feb 9, 2013
I agree with cooking eggs on the stove top not MW. And, after years of cooking bacon in the microwave, I've found the BEST way is in the oven. Roast bacon for 30-40 minutes at about 350.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I wasn't even going to carp about nuking bacon... About the only thing we nuke for breakfast are frozen sausage biscuits that were designed to be nuked.