Converting LED panel light to 12v

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The product description includes the phrase “22W Built in Internal Driver”. Since the operating voltage is 120-277VAC, it appears as if there is no way to tap into the driver circuitry to either inject 12VDC or replace the driver with one that uses 12VDC.

Perhaps you could use an inverter to get 120VAC from 12VDC and use that approach

DBenne

Joined Dec 10, 2020
The product description includes the phrase “22W Built in Internal Driver”. Since the operating voltage is 120-277VAC, it appears as if there is no way to tap into the driver circuitry to either inject 12VDC or replace the driver with one that uses 12VDC.

Perhaps you could use an inverter to get 120VAC from 12VDC and use that approach
Thanks for your input. I may have to open it up and see what's inside. No big deal. Once I get that far I won't know what I am doing though... It does not seem logical to 12v>120>12. I hope to keep the warm white setting and be able to dim so I don't think I can change the driver out completely. I will disassemble one and post pictures. Thanks

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
The trick is to cut traces and rewire it so you have 3 LEDs in series, then pick a resistor that limits the current appropriately. Repeat until you run out of LEDs. Running LEDs in parallel is an option, if the board is already wired that way, or you have COB LEDs, but then you need a higher power resistor which runs hotter and probably costs more than a bunch of 1/4W.
It may be smarter to get something that needs less hacking: I've taken apart dollar store COB switch lights and wired 3 COBs in series, no additional resistor needed since each one already has an SMD resistor. For a more powerful light, use the work lights that have a bunch of SMD LEDs.
Dimming could be done with a "mini LED controller" from ebay for a couple of bucks (push a button to change brightness; it should remember the last setting when repowered if it's like some I got), or a PWM dimmer (also a couple of bucks), which offers continuous adjustment from zero to 100%. Those aren't sophisticated, just a 555 and a power MOSFET.