Connector for joining two PCBs edge to edge

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I am looking for suggestions for a connector for joining two PCBs edge to edge.
Desirable qualities: minimum board area, plug and socket (i.e. unpluggable).
Essential quality: The two boards should be at the same level.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
How about zebra strips? You said nothing about the current.
The PCB design isn't finalised yet (obviously), but the maximum current on the board will be 500mA and that would probably have to go through this connection. The maximum voltage will be 8.4V.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The PCB design isn't finalised yet (obviously), but the maximum current on the board will be 500mA and that would probably have to go through this connection. The maximum voltage will be 8.4V.
If there's not a mechanical space requirement for directly edge joining boards I usually avoid it because unless high quality connectors is used with proper mechanical considerations for board mounting, reliability (solder connections, board traces, etc ...) issues can be a concern.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If there's not a mechanical space requirement for directly edge joining boards I usually avoid it because unless high quality connectors is used with proper mechanical considerations for board mounting, reliability (solder connections, board traces, etc ...) issues can be a concern.
Yes, that bothered me too.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Yes, I considered those. They are a possibility. As @nsaspook says the two edges of the boards would need to mechanically secure.
In a pinch I've used headers for board to board connections on a prototype or two. IMO not a good choice for a production device.

It's much better to possible to combine the boards into one if possible even if the redesign effort is substantial.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Yes, I considered those. They are a possibility. As @nsaspook says the two edges of the boards would need to mechanically secure.
You have mounting holes on both PCBs I assume?

A note of caution. I have diagnosed systems in the past that held PCBs at right-angles with multiple card edge connectors.
This was a nightmare because contacts would separated when the boards were rigidly fastened. A partial solution was to not screw the boards down and allow the boards to float.

The take-away here is to examine how the contacts mate and make sure that physical restraints do not cause the contacts to separate.
A better solution would be to connect the boards with ribbon cables.

pcbdaddy

Joined Nov 27, 2020
I am looking for suggestions for a connector for joining two PCBs edge to edge.
Desirable qualities: minimum board area, plug and socket (i.e. unpluggable).
Essential quality: The two boards should be at the same level.
how anyone can suggest something if you didn't explain all the electrical specs and details of the signals?

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Do we have any details about the signals ?
are they high speed , what voltage , what current ?