Historical Events

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
In all seriousness, I've been thinking about opening a thread like this one for a while. In which historical events could be shared and discussed. But I never got around doing it for fear that it might very easily spiral out of control and into politics...

So, Max... it's on you now and not me! ... ;)

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Not really surprising, considering all of that travelling about! :p

I had platinum blonde hair until about the age of ten, eventually grew out chestnut colored. Proud Viking descendant.
I was always tall, blond, blue-eyed and incredibly attractive, but then I started to gain weight.

Easy to identify amongst my classmates: from all but one, the shortest cadet.:p:p:p:p

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
https://www.history.com/news/vikings-in-russia-kiev-rus-varangians-prince-oleg

The historical people known as Vikings, who hailed from Scandinavia in Northern Europe, are well-known today for their exploits in the west. But the merchant-warriors also made their way into Eastern Europe, where they helped found a medieval federation in territory now known as Belarus, Ukraine and part of Russia. Their loose federation of principalities called Kievan Rus survived for nearly 400 years, finally collapsing during the 13th-century Mongol invasion
kv

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Not to start a fight, but that informatuon is somewhat incorrect. Oleg came after Rurik. The first dynasty of rulers who "founded" Russia. The city was Novgorod. The Viking origins in Russia begin in the North through Ladoga and Novgorod. As true vikings they kept moving south along the water ways...

You may be surprised to find out that back then Russia was a democracy with a parlament of sorts (veche) and various regions represented.

https://www.justgorussia.com/us/veliky_novgorod.html

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Not to start a fight, but that informatuon is somewhat incorrect. Oleg came after Rurik. The first dynasty of rulers who "founded" Russia. The city was Novgorod. The Viking origins in Russia begin in the North through Ladoga and Novgorod. As true vikings they kept moving south along the water ways...

You may be surprised to find out that back then Russia was a democracy with a parlament of sorts (veche) and various regions represented.

https://www.justgorussia.com/us/veliky_novgorod.html
I seen that Rurik character but got a little confused with Oleg.

kv

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I seen that Rurik character but got a little confused with Oleg.

kv
You are not the only one. I have been trying to find a good source that explains what happened. What happened in the time span between them is still debated and mirky.

An uncle of mine gave me a comprehensive book on history of Russia 7 years ago, it was at least 10 lbs. Rurik started in Novgorod, he died and Oleg gained power. He expanded down south moving to Kiev (closer for trading with East) kicking out rival vikings. Supposedly they took on Byzantine empire... Locals were happy as farmers they got protection and it seems that the deal was not that bad. More and more research points out that vikings had very good governance structures and left local population alone. Many of our names come from them. My father's name is Igor. Oleg is also a popular name.