Watts calculation for building and inverter

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Do you realize that 1000 Watts can lead to a current of about 100 A on the battery side?
How long do you want to run on battery?

Bertus

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
It's not that east, first consider this:
Hello,

Do you realize that 1000 Watts can lead to a current of about 100 A on the battery side?
How long do you want to run on battery?

Bertus
Next consider the size of the battery cables. Then under a full load the battery life.

Most inverters offer a few wave shapes out like MSW (Modified Sine Wave) or TSW (True Sine Wave) with the latter being more complex. Which output wave form can you use? Inverters of this type are easier bought than built. They also normally use a 24 volt battery to reduce the current draw.

A simple Google of Inverter circuits should give you some basic diagrams.

i want to run it for about 2 hours
Then you would need at least a 200 Amp Hour battery or actually about a 250 AH battery.

Ron

Nii Aryeetey

Joined Sep 16, 2020
or
It's not that east, first consider this:

Next consider the size of the battery cables. Then under a full load the battery life.

Most inverters offer a few wave shapes out like MSW (Modified Sine Wave) or TSW (True Sine Wave) with the latter being more complex. Which output wave form can you use? Inverters of this type are easier bought than built. They also normally use a 24 volt battery to reduce the current draw.

A simple Google of Inverter circuits should give you some basic diagrams.

Then you would need at least a 200 Amp Hour battery or actually about a 250 AH battery.

Ron
ok what of 500 watts
how much battery Ah and transformer Ah will i need

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
or
ok what of 500 watts
how much battery Ah and transformer Ah will i need
Power is expressed in watts and in the interest of simple for now P = I * V or Power is the sum of the Current * Voltage. This is why 1000 Watts / 12 Volts = 83.33 Amps. That assumes a perfect world which things aren't. There are losses along the way, no inverter is 100% efficient. If an inverter was 80% efficient your battery draw would be about 100 Amps or actually slightly over. You want 500 watts? Then do the math.

While not impossible building a home brew inverter is not an easy task and you just don't put a pile of parts together.Can you make a printed circuit board? You are better to buy than build.

Ron