Should I choose arduino or mbed for my avionics system?

SalihSlr

Joined Sep 15, 2020
I will prepare for model rocket competition in Turkey. I am beginner both them. After i evaluate your opinion, i will work either arduino or mbed. My avionic system will include Gyroscope , GPS, Accelerometer, Barometer etc. Which one do you think I should use?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasterist

Joined Sep 15, 2020
I have experience with Arduino, but not with mbed. There are three reasons I use Arduino for some (not all) of my projects:

1. Inexpensive boards readily available (i.e., I don't have to make my own)
  2. Many different boards with different capabilities available (both CPU boards and peripheral boards)
  3. Huge variety of libraries available for driving external hardware.

I think the last one would help you a lot, unless you know that mbed has libraries for everything you're going to use.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Have you considered using a "Flight Controller" designed for a "Quad-Copter" (Drone) ??
They have some pretty astounding capabilities, and include GPS guided, Autonomous Flight Control
with on-board 3-Axis Accelerometer, Barometer, Compass, GPS,
FPV (First Person View) Camera and Transmitter, (which can also record video),
Air-Speed Sensor, etc., etc.
Recommended Software is "I-Nav" (a fork of the excellent "Beta-Flight" software),
which leans more towards extended GPS functionality.
You could even program it to "Return to Home", just by flipping a switch on your Transmitter.
Or, how about this .........
Install a larger Battery, with a Motor and a Prop on the bottom ......
You can easily achieve 5 to 6 G's of vertical acceleration, with complete trajectory control,
either from the ground, or with a completely autonomous program.
Of course, maybe I'm being silly, but you could just mount a light-weight Rocket Model on top of
a powerful racing drone, and have complete and total control over trajectory and speed.

Flight Controller (FC) = Holybro Kakute F7 V1.5
FC Receiver = TBS CrossFire Diversity
GPS = Radiolink Mini M8N GPS Module UBX-M8030
FPV Camera = CADDX LORIS 4K HD
Video Transmitter = TBS Unify Pro 32
Flight Control Transmitter / Remote Control = TBS Tango 2 Pro
Extravagant "Ground Station" Video Receiver = "Clearview Racing Receiver 2.0 TBS Edition"
Motors and Props = t-motor.com/en/
LiPo Batteries = MaxAmps.com
Motor Controller (ESC's) = "Advanced Power Drives" shop.powerdrives.net

SalihSlr

Joined Sep 15, 2020
I have experience with Arduino, but not with mbed. There are three reasons I use Arduino for some (not all) of my projects:

1. Inexpensive boards readily available (i.e., I don't have to make my own)
  2. Many different boards with different capabilities available (both CPU boards and peripheral boards)
  3. Huge variety of libraries available for driving external hardware.

I think the last one would help you a lot, unless you know that mbed has libraries for everything you're going to use.

Thank you for reply, mbed website include very diffrent librarys. Also After i choosed component like GPS sensor, the page opened contains the library of the gps sensor.

SalihSlr

Joined Sep 15, 2020
Have you considered using a "Flight Controller" designed for a "Quad-Copter" (Drone) ??
They have some pretty astounding capabilities, and include GPS guided, Autonomous Flight Control
with on-board 3-Axis Accelerometer, Barometer, Compass, GPS,
FPV (First Person View) Camera and Transmitter, (which can also record video),
Air-Speed Sensor, etc., etc.
Recommended Software is "I-Nav" (a fork of the excellent "Beta-Flight" software),
which leans more towards extended GPS functionality.
You could even program it to "Return to Home", just by flipping a switch on your Transmitter.
Or, how about this .........
Install a larger Battery, with a Motor and a Prop on the bottom ......
You can easily achieve 5 to 6 G's of vertical acceleration, with complete trajectory control,
either from the ground, or with a completely autonomous program.
Of course, maybe I'm being silly, but you could just mount a light-weight Rocket Model on top of
a powerful racing drone, and have complete and total control over trajectory and speed.

Flight Controller (FC) = Holybro Kakute F7 V1.5
FC Receiver = TBS CrossFire Diversity
GPS = Radiolink Mini M8N GPS Module UBX-M8030
FPV Camera = CADDX LORIS 4K HD
Video Transmitter = TBS Unify Pro 32
Flight Control Transmitter / Remote Control = TBS Tango 2 Pro
Extravagant "Ground Station" Video Receiver = "Clearview Racing Receiver 2.0 TBS Edition"
Motors and Props = t-motor.com/en/
LiPo Batteries = MaxAmps.com
Motor Controller (ESC's) = "Advanced Power Drives" shop.powerdrives.net

Thank you for reply, i cant use that because my Rocket's Avionic System have very different componet. Such as Servo , I will activate the rocket recovery system with avionic system and I need instant information while the rocket is in the air.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
The Components I listed can be adapted to Quads, Airplanes, RC Cars, Flying Wings, etc.
They most definitely can control Servos, possibly up to 8-Servos simultaneously.
I don't know the exact requirements of a Rocket, but I'm sure it could be done,
even if you had to write special Code for it.
Tons of "I/O", and Huge Processing Power, ( MCU: STM32F745 32-bit processor ).