ESP32 Wroom custom PCB not working

kowshik1729

Joined May 10, 2020
Hello all,

I have made a design with ESP32 Wroom and CP2102-GM UART bridge. My board is getting recognized by the PC but the code is not being uploaded to the board. I am getting timed out error on the ESP32 as shown below.
1599073205758.png

The CP2102 circuitry and the RTS, DTR toggling circuit is shown below.
1599073221095.png

I am able to understand that the error I got is that ESP32 is not going into the programming mode. But how should I resolve this error?

Pleaseeeee help me out

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
What board exactly is getting recognized... the CP2102 or the ESP32? How do you have the CP2102 connected to the ESP32? What baud rate are you using? I've seen that message a million times and it's normally because I forgot to wire GPIO0 to ground before turning on power.

kowshik1729

Joined May 10, 2020
What board exactly is getting recognized... the CP2102 or the ESP32? How do you have the CP2102 connected to the ESP32? What baud rate are you using? I've seen that message a million times and it's normally because I forgot to wire GPIO0 to ground before turning on power.
Hi, I didn't understand what did you mean by what is getting recognized? Obviously Cp2102 is what that is being recognized. Yes, we normally see that message when the boot button on the ESP32 dev module is not pressed. But, I can't keep doing this in my production boards always. So, I made a transistor logic that must pull the IO0 pin which seems to be not pulling down. Please let me know what should I do?

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
Does it "seem" the transistor is not working or have you confirmed it's not working? Without seeing exactly how things are connected and getting powered I would assume that GPIO0 is not being pulled low on power up. I don't think Arduino has any options for using the RTS signal. Esptool (the orange output in Arduino IDE screenshot) uses RTS as a reset signal. Maybe find a way to use the GPIO on the CP2102 to toggle your GPIO0 and reset pins before and after programming with a separate program.

My guess is you are trying to pull GPIO0 low to enter programming mode after the ESP32 is already booted. It won't work that way. It has to happen at power up or reset.

Hello all,

I have made a design with ESP32 Wroom and CP2102-GM UART bridge. My board is getting recognized by the PC but the code is not being uploaded to the board. I am getting timed out error on the ESP32 as shown below.
View attachment 216253

The CP2102 circuitry and the RTS, DTR toggling circuit is shown below.
View attachment 216254

I am able to understand that the error I got is that ESP32 is not going into the programming mode. But how should I resolve this error?

Pleaseeeee help me out
Hi Kowshik, We are also facing the same issue and tried various options. Were you able to fix the issue?

Thank you,
Palak

kowshik1729

Joined May 10, 2020
Hi palakhirpara,

Yes I was able to solve it, try shorting IO0 line to Ground with a jumper while you're uploading the code. Also make sure you have a 100nF cap on the EN pin to ground. Let me know if it works.