Computer keyboards

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
Why does one keyboard work with my computer and another does not. Both are registered as compatible. Specifically, one can be used to enter a password, and the other cannot. What is the difference? Otherwise, both will work in entering data and so forth. The password fiasco has caused me endless grief and I am unable to understand this problem. My son (the computer expert), says the problem keyboard is a piece of shit...but that's no answer. Any ideas?

Cheers, DPW, [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Not knowing your capabilities let me ask a silly question. Has anyone "rearranged" any of the keys? Used to be a very common prank. Long ago it used to be some really silly things about keyboards such as a Scroll Lock key that would disable all the numerals. Or a Num Lock key for the numeral pad. Guess what I am asking is have you examined the problem keyboard for some of the obvious causes? Keyboards are pretty standard. Old problem used to be the key not making contact and closing the switch associated with it. Which usually required a new board. Or even a thorough cleaning although liquid damage is hard to remediate.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Simple. Log in with the working keyboard then switch keyboards and check that each key is working and correct.
(That is assuming that the system allows hot swap of keyboards. Plug the good keyboard back in and confirm that hot swapping is allowed.)

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
Simple. Log in with the working keyboard then switch keyboards and check that each key is working and correct.
(That is assuming that the system allows hot swap of keyboards. Plug the good keyboard back in and confirm that hot swapping is allowed.)
This has been tried with O results....any other ideas. I keep getting messages that say can't log in, try later...

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
So, other than logging in, the keyboard works correctly for all of its keys? Very strange. What make and model?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Caps lock on?
Keyboard uses different keystroke mapping?
Does your password contain lower and uppercase characters and special characters, especially ones that need the shift key?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I've plugged two keyboards into a computer at the same time. Don't have an explanation for why I did that - just wanted to see if it'd work.

My wife and I use the same type and brand of computer. It has wired and wireless (bluetooth) keyboard and mouse capabilities. One day while I was messing about on my computer she hit something that made her computer accept MY mouse inputs. She was very upset that her mouse kept moving on its own (when I moved my mouse her pointer would move too). Turned out that she got a notice that said "Her" mouse (mine) was trying to connect. She hit the connect button. So now we had two computers following the movements of a single wireless mouse.

Can you plug both keyboards in at the same time? If so - like others are saying - check to see that all inputs work properly.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
This has been tried with O results....any other ideas. I keep getting messages that say can't log in, try later...
That is not the typical message for an incorrect login attempt. That is what you see when the remote login site is busy and unable to respond. That has nothing to do with the keyboard. It is when the remote site is unable to respond to ANY inputs.