"Pin" material source?

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
I want to make a bunch of breadboard modules. I don't want to use standard square pin headers and machine pin headers aren't as long as I need. I have used 22 AWG tinned wire, straightened, but it is easily bent out of shape. The material used for the legs of 4-digit 7-segment displays would be perfect. Anyone know if there is a supplier of this? Besides an industrial supplier to manufacturers of 7-segment displays.

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
I will be soldering, though, and to things other than displays. Here's one example of what I want to do. I want the height to go over other things, namely PIC's.

IMAG1182.jpg

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That looks good. And they're round? You buy from TE?
Never have. It simply showed on one page a lot of options. Personally, I use 0.025" Sq or 0020" Sq pinheaders (e.g. https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/samtec-inc/MTMM-120-13-S-D-510/SAM13067-ND/1920244 ). Both come in a variety of lengths. You will even see them used to connect PCB's vertically in high-class equipment like older Tektronics scopes.

The 0.025 work well in solderless breadboards and standard PTH holes (0.1" pitch). The 0.020 are the size used in 2.0 mm pitch pinheaders. They also fit solderless breadboards but are just a little looser. I cannot see an aversion to square wire, particularly when the female contacts most likely are flat rather than round.

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
Yeah, they're used to connect PCB's, where female headers are used. Breadboards have different connectors inside and the square header pins tend to damage them. Also, I find that male pin headers are difficult to insert and remove. Round is better both ways.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Breadboards have different connectors inside and the square header pins tend to damage them. Also, I find that male pin headers are difficult to insert and remove.
Solderless breadboards are designed to be used with #22 wire with a diameter of 0.0254". Male header pins are 0.025", so they're no harder on the contacts than #22 wires.