How do i read/use this LED flame bulb effect circuitry?

KraakenDazs

Joined Aug 13, 2020
So not really a -homework- question,apologies, but i feel its so basic it might's well be and would seem out of place/ too basic for any other categories...

I like to fiddle around and my latest interest is adding lights to crafting projects.

I had a few "flame effect" light bulbs i wanted to repurpose for some steampunk/apocalyptic designs.

I can do basic soldering and rudimentary simple circuitry but this.. im not sure what to do.

Basically

1-id like to make the circuit as lightweight as possible as its to be integrated in a nerf (non functionnal so can take up the whole space) gun barrel

2-id like it to run off conventionnal batteries, likely 3v lithium batteries stacks, or a classic 9v volt?

Im not even sure where to solder in the positive/negative wires

I currently have two of these bulbs. One i desoldered the hard circuit board/ resistors/ etc and one i just removed the casing. I looked to youtube but it didn't help so far/the models seem a bit different than those shown

Help..?
(And again, apologies for my lack of any formal terms. I am a newb amongst newbs..so any tidbits of knowledge you have, ill be happy to try and assimilate . Thank you! )

Attachments

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
So not really a -homework- question,apologies, but i feel its so basic it might's well be and would seem out of place/ too basic for any other categories...

I like to fiddle around and my latest interest is adding lights to crafting projects.

I had a few "flame effect" light bulbs i wanted to repurpose for some steampunk/apocalyptic designs.

I can do basic soldering and rudimentary simple circuitry but this.. im not sure what to do.

Basically

1-id like to make the circuit as lightweight as possible as its to be integrated in a nerf (non functionnal so can take up the whole space) gun barrel

2-id like it to run off conventionnal batteries, likely 3v lithium batteries stacks, or a classic 9v volt?

Im not even sure where to solder in the positive/negative wires

I currently have two of these bulbs. One i desoldered the hard circuit board/ resistors/ etc and one i just removed the casing. I looked to youtube but it didn't help so far/the models seem a bit different than those shown

Help..?
(And again, apologies for my lack of any formal terms. I am a newb amongst newbs..so any tidbits of knowledge you have, ill be happy to try and assimilate . Thank you! )
Welcome to the forum.
Note there are people of all levels of proficiency here.

I am not sure if you are aware of this or not, but they make candle flame LEDs already and you can buy them fairly cheap. They flicker sort of like a candle and all you have to do is run them with a battery and resistor.
If you put two, three, or four together and surround them with white tissue paper (for example) it looks like a campfire. Really cool effect almost makes you feel warm.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello there :) Are they the same make and model. If so what is the make and model? Any and all information you can conger up about the units would be helpful. The one you Desoldered did it work and the one you just remove the casing does it work? Take some more pictures of the unit both units frontside backside sideways. So will they fit inside a Nerf? did you ever power them up or screw into a AC socket like a light bulb? Take a photo of the P.C.B. (printed Circuit Board) both sides. Do you want to throw the bulbs inside of Nerf and shoot them off in a double barrel Nerf gun? Do you want them to flicker like a candle when you shoot them into space because I got no problem with that.:p

KraakenDazs

Joined Aug 13, 2020
Hello! (And thank you both for your time already!)

Aha i dont believe i have the necessary skills (at this point) nor materials to make it flicker when shot so id settle for just a passive flame effect of being turned "on" when connected to a battery and on/off switch xD

Theyre both from the same model, they were sold in pairs. I tested one before playing around with them and it worked.

I was unable to see anything flicker or light when i tested the still soldered one to a 9v battery (but im thinking thats because of all the resistors and whatnots on the board that makes it "meant" for ac...

On the desoldered one i couldn't test. Mostly because....i dont know where/ if i can just solder in new +/- wires and then connect those to a battery to test. They were initially soldered onto the rigid circuit board. Im -hoping- theres a way to just use the flexible printed board but im not entirely optimistic, and even less knowledgeable as to how

Adding a few extra pics.
- Couldn't find a make or model , but i still had the box handy.
-also adding a quick pick of where id like the light to "sit" in the barrel. Its a tight fit but as the nerf is non functionnal, i can cut down/strip down space with a heatknife so it uses the whole space and it should fit.
-the flexible printed circuit board jas a single.. resistor..? On the underside. But doesnt seem to be anything else there.
-and then two pictures if the side of the rigid circuit boards. The top side had the flexible circuit soldered to it and connected initially.

I had seen a different model off a youtube vid without any rigid board and it had clear indications as to where the +/- wires went so i was hopeful the ones i had would be similar/usable without the rigid parts, but i truly dont know for sure.

Additionally I had found a YouTube vid with that exact model but the build worked off ac and the maker kept it attached to the rigid board so it didnt fit my ideal purpose for it.

Thanks again!

Attachments

It very likely operates off ~5VDC power. I would apply 5VDC between GND(-) and VCC(+) terminals and it should light up. Best to (safely) measure the low voltage DC power coming out of the AC power supply module in case it is less say 3.3V. It is either 5V or 3.3V powered and anything more will damage the microcontroller. It seems to have a shake switch and I'm not sure what "T" terminal does.
Big Clive did some teardowns of LED flame lamps, including a lithium battery powered version. It's like yours but 4.3V battery powered and a USB charger in place of the AC power supply.