Charging my laptop with e-bike batteries

Siroos12

Joined Jul 15, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have two e-bike batteries with below details:

1- 48v / 16ah
2- 48v / 12.8ah

They both come with integrated 5V USB ports which can be used to charge my phone but I guess 5V does not provide enough power to charge my 19.5v / 9.23a laptop .
I read some articles about charging laptops with USB C ports but unfortunately my laptop's USB C does not support power delivery technology. Therefore, I guess my only option is to find an adapter to change the voltage of my e-bike battery to what it needs to be to charge my laptop and use my laptop charging point to charge its battery.

I'm not quite sure if this is possible at all but any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you!

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hi everyone,

I have two e-bike batteries with below details:

1- 48v / 16ah
2- 48v / 12.8ah

They both come with integrated 5V USB ports which can be used to charge my phone but I guess 5V does not provide enough power to charge my 19.5v / 9.23a laptop .
I read some articles about charging laptops with USB C ports but unfortunately my laptop's USB C does not support power delivery technology. Therefore, I guess my only option is to find an adapter to change the voltage of my e-bike battery to what it needs to be to charge my laptop and use my laptop charging point to charge its battery.

I'm not quite sure if this is possible at all but any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you!
Depends. But it’s likely you won’t be successful.

Laptop charges when the power adapter is in use. Laptop power adapters contain a variety of circuitry, depending on the manufacturer and laptop. Some laptops require that the manufacturers laptop power adapter is used. Otherwise, the power is ignored and the laptop shut down.

So, there are a lot of questions to be answered even before considering using your batteries.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
but I guess 5V does not provide enough power to charge my 19.5v / 9.23a laptop
You would be guessing right. 5V does not equal 19.5V.
It would be helpful if we knew the laptop model. Dell used to require proprietary chargers. HP and IBM chargers I've seen seem to be generic power bricks.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
How about using a 48v DC to 110v AC inverter? Can I use my battery as an input source and then plug in my original laptop charger to the output plug of the inverter?
You could do that, but neither conversion is going to be 100% efficient.

What is your objective here? Why do you need to charge your laptop from your batteries?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
You would be guessing right. 5V does not equal 19.5V.
It would be helpful if we knew the laptop model. Dell used to require proprietary chargers. HP and IBM chargers I've seen seem to be generic power bricks.
I can’t speak to the IBM laptop, but HP places restrictions on its chargers. All HP chargers won’t work on all HP laptops.

Siroos12

Joined Jul 15, 2020
You could do that, but neither conversion is going to be 100% efficient.

What is your objective here? Why do you need to charge your laptop from your batteries?
As long as any solution provides me with 8 hours running on my laptop battery without needing to plug it in to a wall power outlet.

Could you maybe tell me what level of efficiency I could expect from combining an inverter with my battery. Can I keep my laptop plugged into the inverter the whole time and not be worried about loosing power?
Or is it more efficient to drain the laptop battery to a certain level and then recharge it again. I'd rather keeping it plugged in so I can keep working with no interpretations.

Is there any way of calculating how many hours my laptop can be plugged into the battery before the e-bike battery dies?

There are cases that I have to work outside my office. I used to work from Starbucks coffee shops or public libraries on those occasions but it is not possible anymore due to luckdown. Returning to my office is not feasible either cause it is going to he a long commute.