Outdoors telecommunication technician job

alexstemarie

Joined Feb 18, 2020
Hello,

I'm studying telecommunication electronics at Institut Teccart, a private college (CEGEP) in Montréal-Canada, and I'm trying to figure out which kind of job available on the market I'd enjoy. I'm holding a computer science college diploma but I went into telecom because I wanted something more practical Spending days indoor coding was just not for me.

I was looking for a outdoor job or at least a job who involves to move from place to place and to deal with some unexpected. Intellectual challenge is still welcome tough, even needed I'd say. That's why I thought about antenna maintenance and/or installation job, especially cellular antenna because they seem to be everywhere, in cities, in the country, around the suburb and highway... Going deep into wood to maintain antenna would make me very happy I think.

Is somebody here is doing those kind of job and can witness of their experience ? Or do you know if this kind of job is easy to get when you're freshly graduated ? If so which kind of company should I target ? Telecom operator like Bell and Roger or network infrastructure builder like Telecon.

I will begin my internship around May 2021. This is coming really fast and I want to find the best fit for me : intellectually satisfying job, but still physically demanding and fill with unexpected.

Thanks in advance for the input,
Alex

Travm

Joined Aug 16, 2016
I don't think there are many cell antennas deep in the woods. Mostly on towers in towns and cities.
How does climbing one of those towers in a blizzard sound to you? I've seen it done, looked terrible.

alexstemarie

Joined Feb 18, 2020
Seems like antennas are having the tendency to be close to cities unfortunately. However, being from the country I spotted some who are literally in the wood, close to very small village or roads indeed.

If I'm having good clothing/equipment and a decent wage, I wouldn't mind climbing there in the middle of a snowstorm.

You know people who were working on antenna ?