Wifi dongle's or ? for Siglent equipment

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I am drove mental with USB cables in general, and with the junk ethernet cables I have, plus I'm on Linux. I have the very nice combo of SDS1104X-E, SDG2042X and SPD3303X-E

So I see these mentioned before
TL‐WN725N
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-TL-WN725N-Wireless-Adapter-Miniature/dp/B008IFXQFU
Will these work, allowing me to do everything the LAN cables would do? and on Linux? and without having to learn machine just yet ? I wasn't able to "upgrade" my PSU's firmware over LAN, I had to do it over USB for some reason (or maybe it was the opposite)

And my computer's wifi dongle should pick it right up, or do I need something else to plug into my PC

I want to get a handful and use them for these and arduino, I want to order them tonight, and toss a bunch of USB cables forever (for stuff that doesn't use them for power) Reduce wacky GND loops too I'm sure.

Last edited:

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
I am drove mental with USB cables in general, and with the junk ethernet cables I have, plus I'm on Linux. I have the very nice combo of SDS1104X-E, SDG2042X and SPD3303X-E

So I see these mentioned before
TL‐WN725N
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-TL-WN725N-Wireless-Adapter-Miniature/dp/B008IFXQFU
Will these work, allowing me to do everything the LAN cables would do? and on Linux? and without having to learn machine just yet ? I wasn't able to "upgrade" my PSU's firmware over LAN, I had to do it over USB for some reason (or maybe it was the opposite)

And my computer's wifi dongle should pick it right up, or do I need something else to plug into my PC

I want to get a handful and use them for these and arduino, I want to order them tonight, and toss a bunch of USB cables forever (for stuff that doesn't use them for power) Reduce wacky GND loops too I'm sure.
Yep, that's the correct one, the gold version from TP LINK.
https://siglentna.com/product/usb-wifi-adapter/

The SW that drives them is already built into the SDS1104X-E operating system so they are plug and play but only for the DSO.
When setup correctly with your WiFi access point's info and login you can do everything that a wired LAN connection can do.
If accessing the scopes webrowser there's a few features the webrowser supports that the scope's physical UI doesn't permit.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
1st I tried importing the windows files with Wine, that failed. Then I briefly read about with LXI the other day, but never figured it out, just another rabbit-hole that I haven't been back to yet.

Thanks TT, my focus (outside of work) has been on fixing my computer's stereo, so I haven't used half the settings on the new scope yet, and Linux is all new to me.

So I just ordered 2 on sale, that's fine for now.

Last edited:

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Thanks TT, my focus (outside of work) has been on fixing my computer's stereo, so I haven't used half the settings on the new scope yet, and Linux is all new to me.
Any PC OS and browser will permit access to the SDS1104X-E's inbuilt webrowser which is even accessible with mobile devices like iPads.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
So is it CAT5-A or B I need, I gave up last time, only tried 1 cable, but wasn't sure what all else had to be installed 1st

So when I had the AWG hooked over LAN, I set an IP, so if I do that on the SDS1104, then just go on firefox to that IP, and the program runs off the scope ? Like a webpage/java/whatever ?

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
So is it CAT5-A or B I need, I gave up last time, only tried 1 cable, but wasn't sure what all else had to be installed 1st

So when I had the AWG hooked over LAN, I set an IP, so if I do that on the SDS1104, then just go on firefox to that IP, and the program runs off the scope ? Like a webpage/java/whatever ?
Yes this ^ but the IP must be valid for your network and then be saved in the LAN settings UI.
Then just point your PC browser to that IP just like you would for a webpage.

But peer to peer connections won't work simply as through a network switch or router with DHCP enabled.
With DHCP enabled the scope will negotiate its own IP which you then select Save and then use the same IP to point any PC to.
Setting up WiFi is quite similar although you need enter your access point info and save that too.