Transformer for RJ45 network with microcontroller

mike_canada

Joined Feb 21, 2020
Hello,

I have searched tons of places for schematics to build my own ethernet board with the ENC28J60 IC.

All schematics suggest I use two transformers. (one with 4 pins and one with 5 pins) I searched online for a through-hole transformer that can work with Ethernet signals (through Ebay and Digikey) and I could not find one. Instead, all I find are soip or smd parts.

Is there an equivalent through-hole transformer I can use between the ENC28J60 IC and the RJ45 jack that won't cause any board to blow up?

One source said the transformer should withstand 2kV and be 350uH but I need more information so I can buy an equivalent one through-hole transformer on ebay.

any ideas?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hello,

I have searched tons of places for schematics to build my own ethernet board with the ENC28J60 IC.

All schematics suggest I use two transformers. (one with 4 pins and one with 5 pins) I searched online for a through-hole transformer that can work with Ethernet signals (through Ebay and Digikey) and I could not find one. Instead, all I find are soip or smd parts.

Is there an equivalent through-hole transformer I can use between the ENC28J60 IC and the RJ45 jack that won't cause any board to blow up?

One source said the transformer should withstand 2kV and be 350uH but I need more information so I can buy an equivalent one through-hole transformer on ebay.

any ideas?
Trying to source parts on Ebay is part of your problem. What you need is not sold there.

mike_canada

Joined Feb 21, 2020
I already own shielded RJ45 jacks themselves. Funny thing I got 30 of them free on ebay after seller failed to deliver them on time. But I need the transformer parts. I'm curious, could I somehow make a transformer from a set of shielded 350uH inductors with a 2kV rating for the wire and placing magnetic tape between the two inductors?

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
Excuse my ignorance but why would one want to transform an rj45 signal? Is this common practice to transform an rj45 signal or is this something special? My first thought when i saw this was won't that cause allot of signal noise, but i supose old phone systems had to do this didn't they. So I guess my question boils down to.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.eenewsembedded.com/blog/5-things-you-need-know-when-selecting-ethernet-magnetics
Magnetics are Not Optional
Magnetics are part of the Ethernet specification for xBASE-T networks, and as such, they are required for all Ethernet enabled equipment. The magnetics protect against faults and transients, including rejection of common mode signals between the transceiver IC and the cable. These signals are commonly caused by electromagnetic interference (EMI), either from noise picked up by the cable or from slight impedance mismatches. The magnetics also provide galvanic isolation from Ethernet cables, and offset any DC biasing caused by connected nodes having been powered from different sources.

mike_canada

Joined Feb 21, 2020
I mean I saw a couple circuits on the net (including one found here: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/51648/enc28j60-no-communication-over-ethernet) which didn't use a transformer at all but instead a direct connection. I attached the schematic here:

Is there another way I can stop the EMI? Could capacitor coupling of the signals help instead of transformer coupling? I don't want to buy expensive new jacks just to get a transformer when I have piles of regular jacks, capacitors and inductors already at home.

mike_canada

Joined Feb 21, 2020
Could I not use any of these transformers? https://www.digikey.ca/products/en/...162&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=25

I mean sure they are meant for telephone and such but couldn't I maybe add inductance or something?

Since this is for a personal project, I honestly don't care if the speed is super low to todays standards (10Mbps). I just want to create an ethernet link between standard ENC28J60 part and a PC without having to buy fancy jacks. As I said in my earlier post. I have all the other parts (including basic RJ45 jack). I just need the transformer (or a way I can build a circuit that provides equivalent coupling with sufficient protection).

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Pull one off an old Ethernet card or PC motherboard if you cannot get your hands on a new one.
As @nsaspook said, it is just not worth it to not do it correctly.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Could I not use any of these transformers? https://www.digikey.ca/products/en/...162&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=25

I mean sure they are meant for telephone and such but couldn't I maybe add inductance or something?

Since this is for a personal project, I honestly don't care if the speed is super low to todays standards (10Mbps). I just want to create an ethernet link between standard ENC28J60 part and a PC without having to buy fancy jacks. As I said in my earlier post. I have all the other parts (including basic RJ45 jack). I just need the transformer (or a way I can build a circuit that provides equivalent coupling with sufficient protection).
You didn't Look at post #9
This.png

mike_canada

Joined Feb 21, 2020
Ok I'll use that schematic but what resistor values do I use? I mean they're suggesting 33nF caps (I have 47nF ceramic) and theres some cap values unmarked. Could I still use 49ohm resistors and 100nF for the remaining caps?