Custom Projector Screen !

pscammp

Joined Feb 22, 2016
Hello all,
I have an idea in my head which I would like to explore into reality but will need some help to get me going on the Electrical / electronic side of things.

Background:
I have a ceiling mounted projector and use a 100 inch diagonal screen at a 16:9 ratio for watching movies, netflix etc. The screen is a remote operated electric screen mounted at ceiling level (IR operated I think ?), I hit the down button and down the screen comes to a repeatable position and it has an up button which puts the screen back to bed again once we are finished along with an emergency stop button for good measure on the little transmitter box.

Anyone familiar with projectors will probably be aware of whats known as a Constant Height setup where an anamorphic lens can be placed in front of the projectors lens which will horizontally stretch the image to a 2.35:1 / 2.40:1 screen ratio maintaining the same image height as the original 16:9 image. But, then you'll need a wider screen at the appropriate size to make this work.

Based on 'future plans' with this project I may need to consider the 'Stage 2' requirements which might need to be incorporated at the 'Stage 1' level so I will highlight both Stages below in case this is important.

Stage 1:
What I am looking at doing is to make a horizontally sliding frame which when closed up forms a frame in the shape and size of a 16:9 screen, obviously with the screen material within the frame. At the touch of a button, the left and right sides of the frame slide outwards using some kind of small motor(s) and both sides stop when the framework is equal to the shape of a 2.35:1 / 2.40:1 screen size. The extra screen area will be on spring loaded rollers at each side of the frame so they unroll as the frame extends at each side. Then, either the same button or another button when pressed, will close the screen back to the original 16:9 size and the rollers will auto wind up the excess screen material. This will give me the option of a 'Constant Height' screen which can be converted into a 2.35:1 ratio at the touch of a button and back again. This whole system primarily will be powered via 240v mains supply so obviously I will need to incorporate the power supply side of things into the design.

Stage 2:
Once I have this basic function working, and living in a single story property (Bungalow), I would like to cut a, shall we say, a hinged door/flap in the ceiling for the screen. The screen, when not being used will live in the loft space in an appropriate enclosure to protect from loft dust particles and spiders LOLOL. On pressing a button, the flap will open, the screen will roll down from the loft space on runners of some kind built in the walls, once the screen gets to the bottom of it's travel the said ceiling flap closes again. Whether the flap will be electronically moved or mechanically moved remains to be seen at this point. In reverse once finished watching, a button will open the flap, run the screen back into the loft space and close the flap again. Obviously, there will need to be some kind of Logic test going on here as the screen flap in the ceiling will accommodate the passage of the screen in it's 16:9 form so before opening the flap and transporting it upwards the system will need to check that the screen is not stretched out into the 2.35:1 format (if it is at the 2.35:1 configuration then It should auto close the screen up to 16:9 before sending it up), this is why I may need to incorporate this test into the 'Stage 1' ! ! ! !

Ambitious.....YES ! Possible.....I have no doubt it is

In a Nutshell:
So there you have it, Some kind of IR remote with a button(s) to move the screen to from 16:9 to 2.35:1 and a button(s) to bring the screen down and up again from the loft space after checking / confirming the screens current configuration and reacting accordingly. 'IF' the ceiling flap is to be electronically opened and closed then a logic test to see if the flap is fully opened first before the screen can move up or down will be required too.

I have basic to intermediate skills in Visual Basic programming so if programming of something like an EPROM was required I feel sure I could handle this to deal with the logic test side. I also worked in the electronics industry for years so soldering and printed circuit board work is second nature for me. I have the basic skills required to pull this one off but a circuit designer I am not much is the pitty LOLOL.

Anyway.......Is there anyone out there who might have the grey matter to help me realize my idea ?

Many Thanks
Paul