How to grow in your hardware design career 2

SaineshSolanki

Joined Mar 4, 2018
Dear Team,

I am a Hardware Design Engineer, mainly working in Analog Circuits and Power Electronics.
I don't have any coding experience,I have worked on Digital Hardware design to some extend.
It's almost 10 years now.
To grow in my career what and all skill set I need to acquire.

Thanks & Regards
H
I think I am in a somewhat similar situation. Problem is, I am trying to develop some of the hardware skills you seem to already have (Power Electronics like AC/DC, DC/DC analysis, buck converters, EMI mitigation for switching converters, etc) and analog (signal conditioning, filtering functions, separate grounding schemes from analog and digital, op-amps, transistors, etc).

Digital world would entail either FPGA or Embedded Design. And unfortunately that is not straight forward as both FPGA and Embedded have two different approaches to digital design and what type of applications are used for them as well. I wish there was some way for hardware engineers to develop real world skills. I see so many resources for software (code academy, boot camp for coders, etc) but nothing for us hardware guys to be able help gain knowledge for us. I guess there could be a boot camp for hardware engineers but hardware is so broad and vast where as software it's really specifically teaching you a coding language. I don't know, I am just rambling at this point. Anyone want to give their thoughts on this?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I think I am in a somewhat similar situation. Problem is, I am trying to develop some of the hardware skills you seem to already have (Power Electronics like AC/DC, DC/DC analysis, buck converters, EMI mitigation for switching converters, etc) and analog (signal conditioning, filtering functions, separate grounding schemes from analog and digital, op-amps, transistors, etc).

Digital world would entail either FPGA or Embedded Design. And unfortunately that is not straight forward as both FPGA and Embedded have two different approaches to digital design and what type of applications are used for them as well. I wish there was some way for hardware engineers to develop real world skills. I see so many resources for software (code academy, boot camp for coders, etc) but nothing for us hardware guys to be able help gain knowledge for us. I guess there could be a boot camp for hardware engineers but hardware is so broad and vast where as software it's really specifically teaching you a coding language. I don't know, I am just rambling at this point. Anyone want to give their thoughts on this?
If you have a broad fundamental base of understanding of the subject learning new things is an incremental exercise instead of heavy lifting. There is no substitute for hard work and experience. Hardware engineers develop real world skills by designing and building things just like programmers. Every major manufacturer of hardware usually has demo boards, starter kits and software support at below break-even prices (sometimes free) to lure engineering designs using their product lines. Use this valuable resource to the fullest extent.

SaineshSolanki

Joined Mar 4, 2018
If you have a broad fundamental base of understanding of the subject learning new things is an incremental exercise instead of heavy lifting. There is no substitute for hard work and experience. Hardware engineers develop real world skills by designing and building things just like programmers. Every major manufacturer of hardware usually has demo boards, starter kits and software support at below break-even prices (sometimes free) to lure engineering designs using their product lines. Use this valuable resource to the fullest extent.
Oh for sure, there are development boards (Arduino, Raspberry Pi, TI dev boards, FPGA dev boards, Cypress Semi dev boards etc). I just feel like the problem is that each of these boards have different software tools that interact with their chipset and its not universal (ie TI uses code composer, Cypress with PSoC Creator, etc). I feel that it can be very frustrating because I would love to learn all of these platforms only when the hiring manager comes down and says "well, we need someone that knows these tools, not those tools".

I have incrementally developed some skills, understanding PCB design and understanding the importance of component placement and see hot that drives to how the board will be routed, importance of implementing not just good design rules but balancing that with what the contract manufacturer is capable of, importance of parts research to ensure form, fit, function, cost, and variability there is, practicing good ECAD documentation guidelines and ECO guidelines as well, working with your stakeholders (ie mechanical, manufacturing, firmware, etc) to ensure what you do does not interrupt or makes their lives harder to do. Hardware Engineering I feel is more than just schematic/circuit design, it is creating an ecosystem that is continually evolving and ensuring that not only the product works but that it has value to you and the organization.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I have long said a college education proves two things. You are fairly immune to boredom and you know how to learn. A college education gets you ready to pursue a career. What you do with it is up to you. During your career, you will apply what you learned in school to new things in order to become knowledgeable about that field of endeavor and use that knowledge to overcome new challenges.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Oh for sure, there are development boards (Arduino, Raspberry Pi, TI dev boards, FPGA dev boards, Cypress Semi dev boards etc). I just feel like the problem is that each of these boards have different software tools that interact with their chipset and its not universal (ie TI uses code composer, Cypress with PSoC Creator, etc). I feel that it can be very frustrating because I would love to learn all of these platforms only when the hiring manager comes down and says "well, we need someone that knows these tools, not those tools".
The incentive is all yours, if you don't want to do it, others will and will take that job. Companies want a seat that can work a product from day one and manufactures have zero incentive for cross manufacturer commonality in dev-tools.