mkakasapu

Joined Apr 9, 2020
Hey all,

I Want to build a system that can
1. Run motor
2. Play music
3. Take commands over wifi

at the same time

This is kind of musical mill which rotates (with forward, backward, speed change capability) and play different music tracks based on the commands received from wifi interface.

The challenge is the whole system needs to be Tiny (To give an idea it will be N scale).

I am kind of programming guy but less knowledgeable on hardware side. Hoping somebody will help me to optimise my circuit.

By my research, I found the following are the smallest which I can work with..

1. AtMega328P chip
2. L293D chip for running motor
3. ESP 01 module Wifi for communication
4. MicroSD card interface for storing music files
5. I will get a PCB that connects all these together.

My question is what is the most possible way of reducing the size as much as possible (smaller alternatives for circuit and chips) and get perfectly working setup?

Is Atmega328P is capable of doing all these tasks simultaneously ?

Any working prototype will be appreciated..

Thanks in advance.
MK

mkakasapu

Joined Apr 9, 2020
Apologize if the question is too generic or broad to answer. Any suggestion on Motordriver chip SMD version which exactly work like L293D?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Where is this going to be installed? On an N Scale layout?

Do you have a motor that fits inside the mill?

I’d mount everything underneath the layout, which gives you more space to work with. You might be able to drive the windmill with gears so as to mount the motor underneath as well. For example, a set of spur gears or a worm gear drive.

mkakasapu

Joined Apr 9, 2020
Yes. But I am also looking for opportunities to put it inside N scale loco. I know there is DCC but I want to try this on my own.

Thanks for reply
MK

mkakasapu

Joined Apr 9, 2020
For now I am thinking about the electric locos as these have bit space & are in rectangular form that allows board.
I also realised generating polyphonic sound (or just sound) is complex task. Atleast If get basic moving then I will think about advanced features like propulsion, sound etc.
Just keeping my expectations down for now.