USB-C 5 volt 3 amp

jjmalove

Joined Jul 6, 2016
Hello,

I'm trying to wrap my head around utilizing a USB-C style receptacle and a compatible wall adapter that is rated for 5V, 3A, 15W. I understand there are many different variables to consider and protocols for implementing Power Delivery with USB-C, and for getting above USB 2.0 data speeds of 480M/bit, but I'm primarily just interested in a convenient plug with these ratings that is readily available.

Do I need to add any extra circuitry to a design for it to be able to use the full 5V, 3A from a wall adapter listed as being able to output that much? Does a communication need to take place between my design and the wall adapter for it to provide that much or is a communication only necessary for doing stuff like higher voltages via Power Delivery?

If it helps, the intent is a receptacle that if plugged into a usb port of a laptop, it will draw what the port can provide (500mA) and power the device + charge its li-ion battery at a slow rate + communicate with my microcontroller with USB 2.0 speeds, I got the basics of implementing that all squared away. But if I plug it into a wall adapter that can do 3 amps, I know how to setup my charging circuitry to support that but I want to make sure I'm not missing something to have the wall adapter actually provide the intended 3 amps. Obviously if plugged into a wall adapter I'm not concerned with communicating with my microcontroller.

Thanks in advance!