Gate Driver for IGBT with Desat Protection

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
Hi All,
I am looking to find a gate driver IC for the following IGBT from infineon: IKW30N65ES5XKSA1 (Datasheet attached) Could someone please talk me through how to calculate the source and sink currents that are required from the gate driver for this particular device. The switching frequency is 35kHz and the voltages I was planning to drive it with are +15V for turn ON and -9V for turn OFF. If anyone could even suggest a suitable isolated gate driver with desaturation protection that would be even better.
Kind Regards
Art

Attachments

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
When you say, "desaturation protection ", do you mean "tail current"? The IGBT you linked to shouldn't have problems with that, it's a newer component. The earlier ones did need the reversed gate but they found a way to get around that problem. Not sure but think it was because of the problem of making a driver for them, and you need both a V+ and V- supply.

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
When you say, "desaturation protection ", do you mean "tail current"? The IGBT you linked to shouldn't have problems with that, it's a newer component. The earlier ones did need the reversed gate but they found a way to get around that problem. Not sure but think it was because of the problem of making a driver for them, and you need both a V+ and V- supply.
ah thank you that makes sense, could you break down how to calculate the value of gate drive resistors and also how to calculate the current required from the driver please?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Look for App notes(application notes) online for gate drivers, every company has them. From memory, the gate resistor should be around 50 Oms or so, using too big of a value slows down the switching time.

Can I ask a question of you? Why are you using an IGBT over a Mosfet? Again from memory it seems your getting into the area of speed where a mosfet would be a better choice.
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infin...N.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a40153574048b73edc